Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2023

• Let's kick off 2023 a bit early with a new backlog thread!

As usual, the idea is to list up 12 games from your backlog that you intend to complete this year, as a personal challenge, a way to motivate yourself, or just to keep track of your progress.

There's no strict format or rules, feel free to pick more or less than 12 games, games you already own or some that haven't released yet.

• My 12 games for 2023:

• Bayonetta 3
    • Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster (Switch): Sticking to my one-FF-a-year tradition, after completing FF X last year.
    • Pokémon Violet (Switch): Almost done with it, an easy win for this list.
    • Rogue Legacy 2 (Switch): I'm about halfway through, loving this game so much.
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch): Will be hard to fit this big boy among the new releases.
    • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS5): Eternally doomed to be at least one game behind in this series.
    • Inscryption (PS5): Very curious to dive into this one.
    • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
    • Hitman (PS5): Barely started it, I need to get back.
    • The Wonderful 101 (Wii U): The eternal.
    • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS): Very unlikely I'll touch it, including it as a reminder.

• Alright, let's do this one more time:

-Gotham Knights
    -A Plague Tale: Requiem
    -The Callisto Protocol
    -Horizon Forbidden West
    -Tunic
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
    -Beacon Pines
    -Dead Space(2008)
    -Silent Hill 2(2001)
    -Control
    -Resident Evil 4(2005)
    -Resident Evil 5
    -Psychonauts
    -Terminator: Resistance Enhanced
    -Rayman Origins
    -The Wolf Among Us
    -God of War Ragnarök
    -Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    -Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

As you can see 1/3 about being prepared for upcoming remakes to compare with OGs and some for 2023's sequels. 1/3 is from 2022 and finally last 1/3 is what I had in mind for sometime. I am not good at these as you can see my previous 3 years' attempts from following:

https://forums.easyallies.com/topic/6432/tackle-the-backlog-12-in-12-for-2022/5

https://forums.easyallies.com/topic/5964/tackle-the-backlog-12-in-12-for-2021/11

• i only beat 7 games last year in total but among them was the entire xenoblade chroonicles trilogy(for Ben) so if i actually focus on 10 hour or less back log games i could beat 15 in the time it takes to beat XC 1 and 2,
    though i realised i just really like WORLDS so...

i also fully expect fire emblem ENGAGE to dash my hopes against the rocks in 3 weeks time considering i put 200 hours into three shouse and still sometimes pick up and pick away at my maddening run.

Started previously but didn't finish.

-Nier: replicant (feel bad about this one)(did ending a and b and watched the rest)
    -Mass effect 3 (played though 1 and 2 in the collection but timed out part way through 3)
    -cyberpunk 2077 (likly gonna wait for the DLC but i really enjoyed what i played at lunch but it was just so broken)
    -Horizon forbidden west(knocked zero dawn off my list in january last year and the never finished the sequal(elden ring))
    -SIFU (broke me like huber but will return)
    -AI the sominum files 2 (came out in the middle of my xeno obsession)
    -Inscryption
    -disco elysium
    -Metal hellsinger(my wrist hurt)

Must play but haven't started

-Pentiment
    -Citizen sleeper(8.5/10) (got this out of the way quickly, lovely little game made me tear up at the end, still have a bunch to do but i don't think i will, I'm satisfied with how my journey ended. ) (6.5 hours)
    -Signalis
    -Bayonetta 3

Others(reminders etc)

-13 sentinals
    -hollow knight
    -dragon age 3
    -witcher 3
    -Dragon Quest 11
    -RE 3
    -Teardown
    -Control
    -Death stranding
    -Ghost of tsuhima
    -FF7 remake (hard run)
    -Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    (likely my oldest backlog game after buying it in 2007 it taunts me)
    -chrono trigger
    -Persona 5 royal
    -FF6

NOT games

-Berserk (i'm reading it now i will not let it fall to the wayside)
    -Wheel of time BOOKS 1,2,3 (all the books seems a little unrealistic unless i make them my full 12)

• @axel said in Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2023:

Bayonetta 3 (Switch): There's been weirdly little hype around it, but should still be a blast.

i honnestly feel like so much of that is just because people being disapointed in the switch, i didnt start it because i was thinking i will wait for a couple patches or even try emulating it instead.

• @nimbat1003 Maybe shift your priorities around, so you can finish Hollow Knight before Silk Song, Death Stranding before the sequel, and it's probably sadly too late for Bayonetta 3, rushing would probably only hurt your enjoyment, so maybe just bury that one deeper for now, and in the future a better opportunity for it might arise.

• @mbun said in Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2023:

Maybe shift your priorities around

yeah i play games super based off vibes, so the lists mostly just serve as reminders more than anything else... eg right now im playing divinity OS2 again probably wont finish it again but i was in that mood.

hollow knight and also dragon Age: inquisition are the ones im most worried about beating before the sequel. i actually like DA:I alot but it was such a long game and had issues at launch in particular i want to play the trespasser dlc since i've heard over and over that its the best story based content in that game.

• I would already beat Hollow Knight if it didn't have that God awful checkpoint system. I don't want to repeat the same thing I've already done.

• @scotty I know 2023 is still early, but this is already the weirdest take of the year I've read so far, the one to beat. Are you dying to normal enemies or something? There's so many tools to stay alive between benches. It is such a nonissue. There's not huge walk backs to face bosses either.

• @mbun

All in all, I disagree with everything you said from my experience with it until now with 10 hours. Not enough benches, annoying normal enemies hurting you everytime you are going back to same boss, not enough resources to stay alive most of the time when you have one hp left etc.

If only checkpoint system wasn't this awful, I could bear the other annoying parts.

• @nimbat1003 said in Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2023:

Started previously but didn't finish.
    -Nier: replicant (feel bad about this one)

Bruh don't...

I played 50 hours of this to get all endings for 12 in 12 last year and it sucked the life out of me. I'd look up YouTube videos of the twists, turns, and core moments. It's 50 hours that feels like 150.

• @scotty Are you missing how to recover yourself or something? You must be missing something core like using charms if you're having this much trouble. Most bosses have a bench very close by.

• @dipset

oh dont worry i just mean finishing it the first time i know it's not like automata and i can just look up the other endings and moments

• @mbun

I actually use them, kill normal guys to get back health etc. Putting some charms.

My main problem is, even though benches are not so far away it's still some distance and while I try to get back to bosses for retries or going into new places; normal guys just annoys me with the stuff I said and when I die it makes me furious. Especially exploring new spaces. And you know because game has tight spaces they almost always hurt me some even if I try not to bother with them.

They could at least put a new bench before every boss.

• I have yet to ever hit 12 in 12 so I'm abstaining from participating in this thread. For whatever reason, I feel pressure to play faster when I should just enjoy my time with any given game. So no more rushing and no more crossing things off the list. Just enjoying my time with the backlog.

Good luck to everybody!

• @dipset Yeah I beat maybe 5 games a year now so I'm out too but looking forward to tracking everybody else's journey.