E3 EA Recap and impressions

• Disclaimer: I am writing this after barely any sleep because of E3 and timezones are weird like that, and being pushed forward purely by hype and overdosing with green tea. So expect some mistakes. Also, if you don't agree with something, or want to state your own opinion or highlight, feel free to engage a discussion. :D

Recap: This is based off my badly made notes that I took during press conference.

Starting off with bunch of words flashing on the screen, but failing to put up a warning for Dyslexia.
    A dude, whose name I don't care about and was not given when he came up, but called a Bond villain by EZA starts talking about stuff I wish he would skip.
    They had another conference in London, which at its core seems great, but it didn't bring anything new to the table.
    First trailer gets out: It's Titanfall 2 multiplayer.
    Youtube Video

That looked really really! Amazeballs. EA opening strong. Of course they can't avoid typical EA vocabulary, promising "deep progression system" and other things that we are left to interpret ourselves. They follow up with a singleplayer trailer:
    Youtube Video

That was a great trailer. It starts slow, but it escalates. They've put enough in to establish the scene, but left us wanting to know more, and they've put enough connection between the character and the mecha. The way the pilot calls it by its name/initials and the "titan" is the greatest moment in that trailer.
    Titanfall 2 is coming out 28th of october 2016 on xbox, PS4, and PC.

Next is the big boring part of the conference. Because I don't know enough about sports games (And I honestly don't care, but I don't blame you, if you do.) and most of other stuff that was mentioned after, I'll quote my notes (as they are my initial reactions) with minimal elaborations.

Madden: zzzzzzzzzzzz
    EZA checks the new xbox slim
    eSports focus :arrow_right: new competition modes
    Damiani entertains us with GIFs

They show basically nothing new/interesting or at least too little of it for Mass effect: Andromeda. The planets and stars looks nice, but I ended up with nothing. They show us behind the scenes footage. Meh :expressionless:
    Youtube Video

They tell us "something" about Origin/EA access
    Play to give :arrow_right: Charity. Good on them, but I want games.
    "I think we are winning" :arrow_right: Cringe! That was poorly said EA!

Fifa 17
    Frostbite engine everywhere. Sure, it looks nice, but you need to show us more.
    Who the hell is Alex Hunter, and what is he so excited about!?
    Fifa story mode (The journey). September 2016.I guess it's good. Is it good? I don't know. Move along.
    Star wars update in 5 minutes. (Spoiler: it took more than 5 minutes.)
    The guy in London talks about Liverpool being his favourite. ARE YOU F*CKING SERIOUS!? You go to London in front of a crowd and say that your favourite team is a rival club?! In a country that is extremely big on football! You are either ignorant or simply dumb. Probably both.
    Brings out Jose Mourinho. Nice gesture, but it was awkward as hell and nobody really cares.
    More Fifa with not a bad trailer, but I'm out at that moment.
    Youtube Video

EA originals/ EA partners
    "We want all the profit..." (You don't say?!)
    Unravel guy 2.0: Fe
    Games looks nice and interesting, but you used the "nervous independent developer guy" card last year.
    Nice, cute lovable game. Unique song? Goes through forest, fights the "The silent ones". Spooookyyyyyy..... Nice gameplay.
    Youtube Video

Star wars (or the lack of it). Basically they told us: "We own the most popular franchise ever. Now bow down before our might, and we may decide to show something! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    2017: Battlefront 2? might tie in new films.
    2018: Visceral studio
    2019?: Respawn stud.: 3rd pers. action-adventure
    Basically they told us nothing new. Congratulations, you made Star wars look more disappointing than anything in this press conference.
    Bad behind-the-scene trailer. they show some use of VR, but they say nothing about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIEW7woFFo
    Also, why is rated T for teen?

Battlefield 1, 21st of october 2016
    A story how they didn't like the pitch of WW1
    Short trailer: Meh. We saw most of that already.
    A guy talks and doesn't stop.
    They show fighting with trains, planes and airships. Looks really cool. Dynamic weather looks nice.
    They show another trailer, that looks really good.
    Youtube Video

Bottom line: There were good things, but that was a disaster. The conference seemed like a parent saying to child: "Here, play with this, while daddy does some work" and then daddy goes to take a nap.
    I will give it 4.5/10 because the flow of the conference was made in a way that good stuff could save the bad stuff (or as much as they can).
    1.5 stars/5

• @Nillend You pretty much summed up my impressions. Especially the part about Star Wars:

We own the most popular franchise ever. Now bow down before our might, and we may decide to show something

I also loved the Titanfall gameplay but absolutely HATED the sports part. WHY??? WHYY???

• @Nillend And congrats on the first blog post in the forum. Here is a small trophy :trophy: :thumbsup:

• @marcel Thanks for the feedback and the trophy. I would like to thank my parents, the academy, and EZA and its community. :trophy: :sunglasses:
    I will probably do similar stuff for other conferences.

• admin

@marcel said in E3 EA Recap and impressions:

I also loved the Titanfall gameplay but absolutely HATED the sports part. WHY??? WHYY???

My hope is that out there is some dude who was as excited about Fifa as I was about Titanfall 2.

• @UltimateBrent Well, it is one of the most (if not THE most) popular franchises, so I assumed that someone is bound to like it.

• @Nillend Although it probably not representative of all players but everybody I know that plays FIFA buys it like I would go see a movie I hear about for the first time a week before it is released. It just comes up in TV ad or as a billboard somewhere and they go out and buy it.

I expect they aren't necessarily looking it up and reading up on all the new details that are coming up in the next release. It's just something they do almost every year. Then again, I don't have that many sports fan friends or buddies, so I expect there are a lot of fans of FIFA that just rolled their eyes over stuff like Titanfall and Battlefield.

I wonder if EA does focus groups prior to these conferences and makes choices on what to focus on..

• @marcel Mysterious are the ways of the sports games and their fans.

• @UltimateBrent said in E3 EA Recap and impressions:

@marcel said in E3 EA Recap and impressions:

My hope is that out there is some dude who was as excited about Fifa as I was about Titanfall 2.

Madden always gets me genuine excited. Dang I love Madden.