Games you play when catching up on shows and podcasts

• Games that you play when you listen to podcasts or watch certain shows on a second screen. I'm always looking for more to add to my roster :slight_smile:

My current go to games are:

• RimWorld
    • Stellaris
    • Mario Kart: Double Dash
    • Kingdom

• Hearts of Iron IV
    Company of Heroes 2
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Black Desert Online

• Picross 3d
    Whichever Pokemon I'm working on.
    Jet Set Radio

• Galaxy of Heroes and Hearthstone. Anything that doesn't require my full attention, basically.

• 5 unsuccessful rounds of Spelunky, scream internally, be a woeful rocket league goalie (nice shot! @&£* sorry!), miss easy putts from a metre away in PGA golf, commiserate by buying a new dress in GTA online then walk out to a bullet in the head from a 12 year old yacht-owning French sniper. Put controller down and cry self to sleep.

• No Man's Sky, Monster Hunter, Hearthstone.

• Victoria 2
    Stardew Valley
    Civ 5
    and not really a video game but Magic The Gathering Online

• Right now, No Man's Sky, but Civ is a big one normally.

@michemagius I keep buying new DSes because of Picross. Love that series.

• Riptide GP: Renegade, Rocket League and Hearthstone.

• @Sazime So addictive.

• I never understood multitasking. It always feels like a chore. I'd listen to podcasts while I worked at my desk at my old job but if I had to play a sort of less focused game like Mario Kart in order to be attentive enough to listen to a show, then I wouldn't even bother with the game.

Isn't for me

• @GoTaco said in Games you play when catching up on shows and podcasts:

I never understood multitasking. It always feels like a chore. I'd listen to podcasts while I worked at my desk at my old job but if I had to play a sort of less focused game like Mario Kart in order to be attentive enough to listen to a show, then I wouldn't even bother with the game.

Isn't for me

Same here. Even if I try to chat or do any small thing, I got to listen to it again. Main reason why I can't multitask might be because english is not my native language but I just can only focus on one thing at a time.

• Dark Souls. I listen to a lot of history podcasts, and history podcasts jive really well with the Soulsborne vibe of exploring lost civilizations. There's also just a lot of dead time in Dark Souls between the moments of frantic action.

I remember someone (Ian, maybe?) calling this out specifically on the EZA podcast, which is funny, because I was listening to that episode while playing Dark Souls.

• @oceangrunge You got my interest and my attention at history podcasts.

Are there any in particular you'd recommend, I haven't really heard any before, closest thing being some radio shows in here, but I'm definitively interested.

• @bard91 I know you didn't ask me, but....

I'd recommend Hardcore History by Dan Carlin. The newer episodes are available for free, but older ones go behind a pay wall. As far as the older ones go, Wrath of the Khans is totally worth it, imo.

• @Sazime I'm definitevy gonna check that then.

• @bard91 Revolutions and The History of Rome by Mike Duncan are both excellent and informative podcasts, if a little dry. (and History of Rome is hampered by audio issues in many of the early podcasts).

The History of China is in the same vein, but has SO MANY ADVERTISEMENTS.

In Our Time, BBC Radio 4's history podcast, is a great roundtable discussion of historical topics, but every episode feels rushed, like they only have the studio booked for an hour and everyone needs to get their points in as quickly as possible.

• When i used to play FFXIV, I'd gather while listening to Fantasy Fiction. Oddly, when that podcast ended, so did my FFXIV subscription. End of an era.

• Rocket League is great, play it often when watching Easy Allies stuff

• Picross and Etrian Odyssey are my go to multitask games.