How do you choose which game to play next from your backlog?

• Do you have a system like shortest games first or playing an entire series in a row or the oldest/newest release? Or do you pick based on what you feel like playing at that moment in time (which might not always work if a lot of the games are 'similar')? Or do you just not worry about it and let your backlog grow?

• I just kinda stare at my collection until something pops out at me and I'm like "yeah I feel like playing this now." Part of the reason I vastly prefer physical games since for whatever reason that just doesn't work as well with me on digital games.

It's not worth worrying about a backlog honestly, if I did I wouldn't ever put time into something like Overwatch or Rocket League since I'd be thinking of that as time not spent on other games.

• Eh, If someone tells me to play a game and I was already thinking about it, I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, it's really which disc I see first on the shelf.

• I keep a list organized by year, so I try to play the earliest ones on my list first.

I also have another list just for RPGs, that cycles a pattern between different styles of RPG (SRPG, CRPG, JRPG etc.) and different series and developers.

• Depends, sometimes I just pick something I feel like playing, sometimes I use the fortune cookie on backloggery.

• I usually mix in shorter and long games (30+ hours). And won't play two 40+ hour games back to back. Due to exhaustion of how much time and commitment those games require to learn everything and finish.

Haven't really had a backlog issue for over a year since I don't buy games unless it can be played up to 3 months from day of purchase. I do got a ton of games lying around in online stores or hardrives, but I don't consider a game part of my backlog if I have no interest in actually playing it. Baring exception to some Steam games that I can't run yet like Crysis and Cryostatis.

• Most of the time my backlog is dictated by a sequel in a series that I'm not caught up on. Currently playing Resident Evil Remake to get me ready for RE7. Not in love with it tbh but it's fun. Gonna do RE2, RE3, then PS4 RE4 then move onto Persona 4 for PS2 to prepare for P5.

Two years ago it was MGS1-PW (but I had played 1 and 3 before) in order to prep for MGS V GZ.

It all depends on how badly you wanna get there. But yeah, it's mostly dictated by coming sequels.

• I play whatever I'm in the mood for, as simple as that.

If I'm undecided then I make a list of the games I'm leaning the most heavily towards playing and then go through them in pairs with a "Would I rather play X or Y?" round until I end up with just 1 game.

• I don't think I really have a system, I just try to prioritize some stuff and play it if I'm in the mood for that particular kind of game.

Right now I'm going through Drakengard 3 because I had it really high on priority for a while, and it's turning out to be a great decision.

• @GoTaco If you eventually want to play RE5, I'll be your lil coop bitch.
    Its a meh game alone, but probably one of the best coop games I've ever played. Gone through four times with three different people.

• Definitely game length. If I know I'll be able to knock out a game within a week or so, I'll put it at the top of my to-do list.

• I really try not to keep much of a purchased backlog and don't usually buy new games if I have unfinished ones, unless I'm really excited about it.

Most of the time I play by length or just one that jumps out to me.. like Jak said above, I usually play a couple shorter games in between longer ones. For example, I recently played through Fallout 4 then did Chaos Theory, and Furi before picking up Blood and Wine. After that I'll probably play Beyond Good and Evil and Rayman Origins since its free on uplay soon.

• Depends how much procrastination guilt I can afford. If I've got an assignment I really need to do because it's due at the end of the week, then I'm not going to start the Metal Gear Solid collection, but I might dive into something like a Firewatch or Pony Island. The way I pick which one I play is usually panicking and going "oh jeez I've got like a day I can relax without the guilt killing me and if I don't play the witness right now ill probably miss the boat on the whole game better play it now instead of debating this whole scenario in my head"

When I've got free time, however, I work off a hierarchical system;
    -Age/legacy comes first if it's a continuing series that I'm familiar with and want to continue myself.
    -Personal investment into a franchise comes second (the "I've played Uncharted 1-3 and I'm getting edgy because I haven't played 4 even though there aren't going to be new ones" effect)
    -Suggestions from Allies come third
    -"I picked up Saints Row/Resident Evil anthologies for a bag of chips but I haven't played a single one" scenarios come fourth.
    -the rest.

There's obviously exceptions depending on circumstances, and if I see a game I might like and can take on the go for train rides to/from work I'll play them, but they're not usually situations where it takes time off other games.

• @Carmichael Hey man! I just try to play the game that is calling out to me. Sometimes, I feel like I NEED to finish a game that I haven't touched for awhile. What I recommend is playing what you truly enjoy, but don't leave super complex titles alone too long for fear of forgetting where you are in the story/how the mechanics work. Hope that helps!

• I have a HUGE backlog... mostly because I think that I have game ADD. It's terrible and I need to fix that... but it's unlikely to happen unless no cool new games come out. Or I kill my need to play Mass Effect again.

I usually just play what immediately strikes me though. So if I have a day off and nothing to do, I'm more likely to play an RPG, but after work its more likely to be rocket league or overwatch.

• @Inustar said in How do you choose which game to play next from your backlog?:

I have a HUGE backlog... mostly because I think that I have game ADD. It's terrible and I need to fix that... but it's unlikely to happen unless no cool new games come out. Or I kill my need to play Mass Effect again.

Yeah I feel you. I buy stuff on impulse and my backlog is insanely huge (I do the same for books)...
    Though I have gotten better at figuring out what stuff I like best and lately I've been spending less money on games.

I'm currently going through an old school jrpg phase so I just choose the games based on reading the summary, whichever captures my attention first is the one I'll go with.

• I'm also buying a lot less games than before. I don't buy games simply because they're on sale anymore: if I know I won't play it, I don't buy it.

I also rarely buy games at launch, I have so many others to finish that I'd rather wait for a price drop/GOTY edition. The exception will be Deus Ex: Mankind Divided next week because I can't wait any longer!

Overall I try to alternate long, epic RPGs and shorter games. And sometimes force myself to get back into a game I stopped playing to make sure I don't forget everything and have to start all over again.

I like to alternate consoles too, if I've just finished a Wii U game, I'll make sure the next one is on PS4, although that's not a hard rule.

And I also try to alternate genres, to avoid any burnout. For example, when I played through the Uncharted trilogy earlier this year, I played other games in between each installment to make sure I didn't get bored.

But mainly, it's about what game you really feel like playing NOW. So if a game has been in your backlog for over a year, maybe deep down it means you just don't want to play it ;)

• I just play whatever I feel like at the time. Usually if I buy a game I play I beat it before going to another.

• @El-Shmiablo said in How do you choose which game to play next from your backlog?:

@GoTaco If you eventually want to play RE5, I'll be your lil coop bitch.
    Its a meh game alone, but probably one of the best coop games I've ever played. Gone through four times with three different people.

I actually beat it split-screen in like 2012. I liked some levels but others were so fucking annoying like one inside of some caves or tunnels or something. I had fun and didn't regret it. Also had no idea what was going on story wise. I have no interest in re-playing it tbh.

• @GoTaco
    :(