How do you choose which game to play next from your backlog?

• @Carmichael Hey man! I just try to play the game that is calling out to me. Sometimes, I feel like I NEED to finish a game that I haven't touched for awhile. What I recommend is playing what you truly enjoy, but don't leave super complex titles alone too long for fear of forgetting where you are in the story/how the mechanics work. Hope that helps!

• I have a HUGE backlog... mostly because I think that I have game ADD. It's terrible and I need to fix that... but it's unlikely to happen unless no cool new games come out. Or I kill my need to play Mass Effect again.

I usually just play what immediately strikes me though. So if I have a day off and nothing to do, I'm more likely to play an RPG, but after work its more likely to be rocket league or overwatch.

• @Inustar said in How do you choose which game to play next from your backlog?:

I have a HUGE backlog... mostly because I think that I have game ADD. It's terrible and I need to fix that... but it's unlikely to happen unless no cool new games come out. Or I kill my need to play Mass Effect again.

Yeah I feel you. I buy stuff on impulse and my backlog is insanely huge (I do the same for books)...
    Though I have gotten better at figuring out what stuff I like best and lately I've been spending less money on games.

I'm currently going through an old school jrpg phase so I just choose the games based on reading the summary, whichever captures my attention first is the one I'll go with.

• I'm also buying a lot less games than before. I don't buy games simply because they're on sale anymore: if I know I won't play it, I don't buy it.

I also rarely buy games at launch, I have so many others to finish that I'd rather wait for a price drop/GOTY edition. The exception will be Deus Ex: Mankind Divided next week because I can't wait any longer!

Overall I try to alternate long, epic RPGs and shorter games. And sometimes force myself to get back into a game I stopped playing to make sure I don't forget everything and have to start all over again.

I like to alternate consoles too, if I've just finished a Wii U game, I'll make sure the next one is on PS4, although that's not a hard rule.

And I also try to alternate genres, to avoid any burnout. For example, when I played through the Uncharted trilogy earlier this year, I played other games in between each installment to make sure I didn't get bored.

But mainly, it's about what game you really feel like playing NOW. So if a game has been in your backlog for over a year, maybe deep down it means you just don't want to play it ;)

• I just play whatever I feel like at the time. Usually if I buy a game I play I beat it before going to another.

• @El-Shmiablo said in How do you choose which game to play next from your backlog?:

@GoTaco If you eventually want to play RE5, I'll be your lil coop bitch.
    Its a meh game alone, but probably one of the best coop games I've ever played. Gone through four times with three different people.

I actually beat it split-screen in like 2012. I liked some levels but others were so fucking annoying like one inside of some caves or tunnels or something. I had fun and didn't regret it. Also had no idea what was going on story wise. I have no interest in re-playing it tbh.

• Banned

@GoTaco
    :(

• Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

• I use this site alot to organize my backlog:
    https://howlongtobeat.com/

ME: https://howlongtobeat.com/user.php?n=elbanger
    feel free to add me

You can sort your games by a lot of different things,
    Its really good for OCD gamers :panda_face:

• I simply scan the shelf until something just jumps out at me. It could be something new, it could be something old or it could simply be a re-play of a game I have beaten before. It really does depend on the mood at the time, and that can easily change from day to day.