[Official] What are you playing?

• @Gheremie_Johnson I think you made the correct choice to play the game this long after launch. It's been improved with all the patches and the zeitgeist has moved on. You can play it with a clearer head and realistic expectations.
    I'm positive I would have liked the game more if I had waited, and not paid full price.
    My main problem was just that the original trilogy are my favourite games of all time, and I expected too much from Andromeda.

I think I'll revisit it in a year or so, and probably have a lot of fun with it.

• @Inustar It's refreshing to see Bioware putting so much effort into fixing Andromeda's issues, you don't see a lot of devs doing that anymore.

• I'm currently playing final fantasy XII. I Didn't care for it much back in the day but with the zodiac jobs & the fast forward I'm loving it. I'm 20 hours in so far.

• Just picked up Fidel Dungeon Rescue the other day and I'm hooked!

It's this clever little dungeon-crawler puzzle rougelike, where you play as a dog diving through dungeons to save your human. There's both the right amount of depth and limitation to make it really easy to get into but still create a sense of wonder as you work out how all of the enemies work. Even after you beat it there are cool ways to self-incur additional difficulty and plenty of secrets to find. Even just trying to complete it quicker and more optimally is a blast! I'm definitely going to be playing this whenever I need a quick study-break for the foreseeable future.

• I received XCOM 2 as an anniversary present, and I am blown away by how much I love this game.

I enjoyed Enemy Unknown, but there have been many improvements that make what was a tactically stimulating title even more entertaining and well-rounded. For example, your soldiers have much more customization options. It may seem small, but it can get you more personally invested into the units you send storming into alien territory. They introduced several new abilities that synergize with the classes well and make wise ability selection more crucial. Rangers now have access to melee abilities, snipers pick up a rapid fire pistol for close range, and there is a new stealth system implemented overall that allows you to flank enemies, set up ambushes, or accomplish objectives more easily.

The game also has a great underdog vibe that compliments the sense of planetary patriotism well. Every time I receive a mission from the resistance, it feels like a huge opportunity, and I will just sit on the squad select screen listening to the music swell in anticipation of the operation.

I digress, but this is an amazing turn-based strategy title. To counter the new tools at your disposal, the aliens have upped their game as well, with many enemies receiving genetic enhancements to improve their own health and abilities. However, the perceived difficulty shouldn't deter you; there are multiple difficulty settings, and there is the ability to save before each turn in case you regret your choices.

• @Billy What would you say was the ratio of enemies, aliens: humans?

• @Billy i'm compelled to try it out, never actually beat the first but easily put 30 hours into it in at least 3 playthroughs started from the very beggining that were eventually left by the wayside.

The customization options definitively sound appealing, as I did grow attached to the characters and I'm sure that customizing them would just add to that.

• @bard91 It took a while, but we're finally seeing some price drops, so now would be a good time to hop aboard if you're interested. I never actually finished Enemy Unknown either, but this sequel is capitalizing on what I enjoyed and taking it even further.

@SilveryRow The missions vary in difficulty, and in turn, number of aliens. I'd say in general it's about 2:1 or 3:1 per mission (enemies:humans). If you're not moving too fast, you generally engage squads about equal in size to your squad, but the game implements varying mission structures which task you with moving efficiently, so it's always a possibility to be ambushed and outnumbered. It's nice that you seem to be on par or a bit underpowered compared to the foes. They always feel threatening, so the satisfaction of a kill is strong.

• @Billy I may have been unclear, I meant the ratio of enemy aliens to enemy humans. If that's also what you meant, then disregard this comment and thanks for your reply :)

• @SilveryRow Oh! I misunderstood. Without spoiling too much, there is a blend of different aliens species, many of which are humanoid in nature. However, you only fight aliens. You're part of a resistance movement to reclaim the earth, which calls for solidarity among mankind.

• @Billy Thanks for the clarification, I was sure you fought (perhaps 'enhanced/mutated') humans but I don't know where I picked up the idea.

• @SilveryRow You likely heard correctly... I'm just trying not to spoil anything. Encountering new enemies is part of the fun.

If you really want to know:

Yes, there are humans who have been genetically altered through mixing in alien DNA, resulting in humanoid/alien hybrid creatures. The aliens place them in armor that hides their true nature in order to better utilize them as "peace-keepers" without alarming the populace. They reveal this at the end of the tutorial mission, so it's not spoiling too much.

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions: I don't know that I've ever played a game this dumb before, but I've been loving it to pieces. It's super jolly too. Definitely my big guilty pleasure this year.

• @Billy Yeah, that's what I remembered. Seems like a way to avoid creating difficult alien designs to me.

• Tropico 2, except as of yesterday I can't get it work. I'm now sad. Recently started Shadow of Mordor although I suck at it so it's slow going, plus a replay of Fable 2 for the cozy factor. Also getting back into my Sims 3 Legacy with the hopes of writing it up as a little story for my own edification. Oh, a spot of Civ VI coop as well. I think that's it.

• @SilveryRow

In the opening missions you encounter them a lot, but they steadily introduce more and more unique designs. I've seen at least 10 different species that are not just "human" variants. Everything from hulking behemoths to reptilian creatures to insectoids to mechs to more traditional alien designs. Personally, I'd say enemy variety is one of the strengths, and it's never come across as lazy to me.

I totally understand how annoying it can be when you're excited about unique foes, and instead you get "dudes with guns." The most egregious example to me was the Turok remake. Yes, there were dinosaurs to battle, thankfully, but the game got bogged down by way too many sections of engaging regular human troops. The shooting never really felt that great or precise in that game anyhow... which is fine for a massive dino, but not so much for entrenched commandos (I still enjoyed the game overall and competed it, but it could have been better).

• @Billy That is good information :)

• @Minamik said in [Official] What are you playing?:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions: I don't know that I've ever played a game this dumb before, but I've been loving it to pieces.

Unlikely, I wonder on what point when looking at crossing FE and SMT they decided that was going to be the game, but as you said it is super jolly and save for some repetitiveness I found it really enjoyable

• Global Moderator

Started Yakuza Zero after beating Deus Ex and it is as weird as I expected. Just walking down the street and absolutely beating the crap out of someone and then going for some karaoke. :)

I'll continue to talk about it in the general topic.

• I was gonna try and wait until the mobile/Switch game before picking Animal Crossing back up, but I caved, I started a new town in New Leaf. Talk about jolly summer vibes, it's been a nice change of pace from Critical Mode runs of the Kingdom Hearts collection and Bloodborne.