[Official] What are you playing?

• @SilveryRow Oh! I misunderstood. Without spoiling too much, there is a blend of different aliens species, many of which are humanoid in nature. However, you only fight aliens. You're part of a resistance movement to reclaim the earth, which calls for solidarity among mankind.

• @Billy Thanks for the clarification, I was sure you fought (perhaps 'enhanced/mutated') humans but I don't know where I picked up the idea.

• @SilveryRow You likely heard correctly... I'm just trying not to spoil anything. Encountering new enemies is part of the fun.

If you really want to know:

Yes, there are humans who have been genetically altered through mixing in alien DNA, resulting in humanoid/alien hybrid creatures. The aliens place them in armor that hides their true nature in order to better utilize them as "peace-keepers" without alarming the populace. They reveal this at the end of the tutorial mission, so it's not spoiling too much.

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions: I don't know that I've ever played a game this dumb before, but I've been loving it to pieces. It's super jolly too. Definitely my big guilty pleasure this year.

• @Billy Yeah, that's what I remembered. Seems like a way to avoid creating difficult alien designs to me.

• Tropico 2, except as of yesterday I can't get it work. I'm now sad. Recently started Shadow of Mordor although I suck at it so it's slow going, plus a replay of Fable 2 for the cozy factor. Also getting back into my Sims 3 Legacy with the hopes of writing it up as a little story for my own edification. Oh, a spot of Civ VI coop as well. I think that's it.

• @SilveryRow

In the opening missions you encounter them a lot, but they steadily introduce more and more unique designs. I've seen at least 10 different species that are not just "human" variants. Everything from hulking behemoths to reptilian creatures to insectoids to mechs to more traditional alien designs. Personally, I'd say enemy variety is one of the strengths, and it's never come across as lazy to me.

I totally understand how annoying it can be when you're excited about unique foes, and instead you get "dudes with guns." The most egregious example to me was the Turok remake. Yes, there were dinosaurs to battle, thankfully, but the game got bogged down by way too many sections of engaging regular human troops. The shooting never really felt that great or precise in that game anyhow... which is fine for a massive dino, but not so much for entrenched commandos (I still enjoyed the game overall and competed it, but it could have been better).

• @Billy That is good information :)

• @Minamik said in [Official] What are you playing?:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions: I don't know that I've ever played a game this dumb before, but I've been loving it to pieces.

Unlikely, I wonder on what point when looking at crossing FE and SMT they decided that was going to be the game, but as you said it is super jolly and save for some repetitiveness I found it really enjoyable

• Global Moderator

Started Yakuza Zero after beating Deus Ex and it is as weird as I expected. Just walking down the street and absolutely beating the crap out of someone and then going for some karaoke. :)

I'll continue to talk about it in the general topic.

• I was gonna try and wait until the mobile/Switch game before picking Animal Crossing back up, but I caved, I started a new town in New Leaf. Talk about jolly summer vibes, it's been a nice change of pace from Critical Mode runs of the Kingdom Hearts collection and Bloodborne.

• Started up God of War 3 Remastered. Finally getting around to it before 4 comes out.

I'm gonna miss the old style a little bit.. the gameplay is just so fun

• After Ben mentioned Magical Drop this morning during the stream I got a real bad jonesin for that game. II's the only one on PS4 so I picked it up, and I'm digging it a lot. Not as good as 3, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a total blast to play.

• Currently playing Persona 5 again. Feel like I've got a lot to do still. I've also been playing a game that I've been surprised to not see mentioned on the forums yet. I'll see if anyone can guess it.

• I'm now 30 hours into Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, and I'm on my way to Archadia. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through the main story?

Yesterday I tried to clean up some Hunts, got stuck for a while against the White Mousse in the Rabanastre sewers, I think I was under-leveled (my team is around level 30) but managed to beat it by finally figuring out how the Quickening system works. This is such an obscure and convoluted feature, and it's barely explained in-game! I had to look up several YouTube tutorials to get a rough idea and it's still a bit fuzzy.

Apart from that I'm really enjoying the combat system and the gambits, so much so that I might have trouble going back to the old, slow turn-based JRPGs.

This game is everything I want from a Final Fantasy game and I'm pretty happy I picked this one up rather than XV.

• @Axel XII is great in many ways, and those few problems it had previously are pretty much fixed in the Zodiac Age release. BTW, in XII, equipment matters way more than levels, so while leveling up does make characters stronger, gearing up properly makes more difference than few levels here and there.

• @Faaip Same here! I never had the chance to play any of the games, but I'm wanting to finish up at least the main 3 entries before the new one comes out.

• @Billy They're really fun games.. definitely worth playing! Absolution is good if you want more but its definitely not necessary to catch up and doesn't have as strong a story in my opinion

I'd recommend the remaster of 1/2 for PS3 (if they aren't available on 4) and to wait for a sale for 3 if you want because I got it for like $4

• Finished Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Now...finally...I've moved on to BotW!

I went foraging so I could make some money...which in itself is oddly satisfying for some reason...and after about an hour (I'd cleared out the moblins), out of nowhere, I hear some dude scream, and I jumped out of my chair...lol. After that I climbed up on a rock so I could get a better view of the guy getting beat up by bokoblins...

• BotW: After investing in a house (player housing is not something that's done enough in games that I love!), I wandered off into the desert. You could say it was bananas.