[Official] What are you playing?

• Giving another go at Final Fantasy XV, currently on Chapter 5. I really like the story, although there are times I start to forget parts due while I'm going through hunts and side quests. But this game is just littered with "Is it just me, or is this a pain?" moments. I would really appreciate some pointers on these things if anybody is willing to help me out.

1. Is there any way to use Libra in Active mode? I gather that I've unlocked an ability for Ignis that sounds like it does the same thing, he seems to use it sporadically whenever he feels like it.
    2. Since I can't figure #1 out, I'm using Wait mode. Is there any way to force time to pass aside from running around? In every battle without fail I'll kill the last enemy, and then the game will pause. I then have to run around in circles for a couple seconds while the final enemy's death animation plays because the game still considers me in battle.

• I promised myself this year I'd go out of my comfort zone & try a CRPG. So I fired up Pillars of Eternity. I've only played an hour or so & feel totally overwhelmed but I quite like it. I think I'll watch a few tutorial videos on YouTube to see if that helps.

• I'm on the verge of quitting Crono Cross. 7 hours in and nothing in the game has grabbed me (outside of a few killer music tracks). Underdeveloped characters, spotty art direction (especially when compared to its predecessor), and only an intermittently interesting story... If things don't turn around in the next hour or so I think it'll be time for me to move on. Anyone have experience with the game that can tell me if it's worth pushing through?

• @naltmank i found the game lacking a hook to keep me playing aswell

• @naltmank I honestly remember liking it more than Trigger (not a huge fan of Trigger...) but it has been a really, really long time since I've touched it. I remember the cast being huge so maybe you'll find someone you like eventually? Either way, it's a dead series, I don't think there's much of a need to force your way through it if you aren't digging it.

• @sabotagethetruth yeah, I think I just really wanted to like it BECAUSE I'm such a huge fan of Trigger (consider it the greatest game of all time). I knew it wasn't going to be AS good, but I still had hope it would be solid. Plus I just always feel bad every time I give up on a game.

• Future Tone has absorbed my life. I just really love going all in on outfit customization, taking screenshots (even if none of mine are that interesting), and of course there's the fact that it's just a damn fun rhythm game on top of that. I feel like I'm gonna have Rolling Girl stuck in my head for weeks.

• Follow-up about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I just reached Chapter 5 and 30 hours in, I can finally say the combat has clicked with me and I'm enjoying myself a lot more. I still have moments when I die and can't figure out why, especially in fights with multiple enemies. But at least I understand what I'm supposed to do and am able to strategize a bit.

I'm also really enjoying the mercenary groups system for some weird reason, love sending out guys on missions and earning rewards as a result.

• I know I'm late to the party but I've been playing Darksiders on the side. Damn that's a good action adventure game. I'm loving it. So surprised how well its made. If you like the genre give it a go.

• @futurecorpse The remaster is $1.99 on a US PSN sale right now, so I suppose I can give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Rayman Legends. I don't get the hype. Yeah, the controls are great. Yeah, the visuals are amazing. Yeah the characters are all super cute and the challenge level is absolutely spot-on and gameplay is second only to maybe Mario but I just can't give it anything higher than a 3/10 for one reason: the story. Where are the cut scenes? Where is the dialogue? Where are the interactions between cartoon characters written by somebody who has clearly never seen living things interact with one another that I can get emotionally invested in?

• Grinding in a Dungeon Crawler. It's really making me appreciate RPGs that don't really require the grind.

• Now that i have a completely free weekend, i'm continuing my Persona 5 playthrough.

• I am well and truly hooked on Chaos;Child. I only just hit chapter 2 as well.

• I was giving a CRT I got recently a test run and apparently my Saturn's decided my old Nights Into Dreams file just doesn't exist anymore. Internal battery didn't even die this time I don't know why it's acting like this, but whatever it's not like I'm gonna complain about getting to play the GOTYAY again.

• I'm finding some parts of Horizon more than a bit annoying and uninspired, still good, but some parts are clear lows for the whole experience.

Also I've made a lot of progress in Radiant Historia and I simply have to say, Aht is the most precious thing ever, and I'm not one to take as much of a liking to little sister characters, but damn she is freaking adorable.

• Global Moderator

Gran Turismo Sport

Another one that I wanted to check out due them adding more content for VR, so again I bought it on a sale (Wipeout next please!). Now I haven't played a full Gran Turismo game since... possibly 4. I do tend to get into a racing game every so often. Like I love the Wipeout series and I actually really liked Driveclub but now felt like the right time to have another racer on the go and this is a racer which absolutely wants to teach you how to drive.

It has the fanciest intro and menus that I've seen in a game in a while. Everything just feels very high class I guess. And the first thing they tell you to do is driving school. Every single challenge has an accompanying video on it. So these aren't really there just as challenges, the game absolutely wants you to beat these so you learn how to play it with different cars and assit meters turned off etc. So I think it's one of the deepest driving games out there in trying to teach you on all aspects of it.

And what I really like so far is that it's got a nice sense of progression. It clearly marks when you'll get a gift. There is a daily challenge which gives you a car, so that incentives you to check in for a bit each day which I actualy really love in this case as I think I will just play a bit each day.

So I checked out some of the races and had a good time with those. As I play more, I want to turn off all the assist items and go for it.

But the main reason I played was to check out VR. You have the option to go to a showroom, VR race with another car and VR time trials. Unfortuntely I don't think you can play online. So the graphics obviously go down a bit but again with VR, that feeling of immersion is just so cool. I tried a race and a time trial. In the race, I picked a convertable and I instantly just starting looking all around me and it just is so cool. The other really nice thing about it is the mirrors actually work which is essential so for the first time in a racing game, I actually feel like I'm properly using my mirrors! In the time trial, I went with a dirt track type course and it was super fun to jump over mounds and skid around the place. Overall, it's very cool but I'd probably tell someone to take it slowly as I can imagine if you crash a lot or play races where you're jumping around, that could hit a little bit if you're in for an hour or 2.

Anyway, I'm happy I got it and I'm looking forward to my daily check ins with it now.

Overwatch

Oh Overwatch, my go to multiplayer game. I love this game but if there was ever a time that I've found it to be really frustrating, it's right now. They added a new character recently called Brigitte and have changed Hanzo's character a little bit and have basically made both characters essential picks in every single match. Brigitte is a support/tank who can basically take on anyone and stun anyone quite often with very little (if any) risk to her at all and it just makes the game super frustrating as it just turns into a battle of who is a better Brigitte. I'm seriously hoping they make some bigger nerfs than what they have planned. I'll still keep on playing but I do feel like they're pushing people away a little bit.

• PUBG - My first ever Steam refund. I just can't get into it. I have been craving a good tactical MP experience but this game wasn't it. I pushed right to just under 2h played and I found that most of my time was spent running around trying to get into the circle. I think we're en route to bringing back tact shooters but I don't want it to be exclusive to the battle royale genre.

If anybody has some good MP recommendations, let me know. If it helps, my favourite MP games are: SOCOM II, Warhawk, The Last of Us, TF2, and Halo 3.

• @tokeeffe9 GT Sport is quite possibly the most classy/fancy racing game ever.

• Finally got a copy of The Surge, been wanting a Souls-esque game to play but i don't want to play DS3, and i'm way more interested in the sci-fi setting. It's quite rough graphically, there's a lot of distracting pop-ins when you look around. It's very fun though, there's a lot of cool mechanics that make it feel a bit unique.