[Official] What are you playing?

• I wanna like Astral Chain but I'm four hours deep and I feel like I'm only just now wrapping up the basic tutorials. From how the last few moments felt I think it's gonna start being real good but damn is that a slog to get there. I find it hard to believe this game was made by the same company that has so many "GO GO GO WE'LL EXPLAIN IT LATER JUST GO" intros to games as Platinum.

• Finally finished with Judgement. I don't know what I was doing wrong for Huber to think that fighting Koga was easier than Mr. Shakedown...or how anyone could like mortal wounds. So many visits to sewer doctor... I liked the story and characters, but some stuff in that game just really rubbed me the wrong way.

• I played almost the entirety of Dragon Quest XI S demo (which is about 10 hours). It's a great RPG, gorgeous to look at (even on the Switch, i'd say docked more impressive than handheld) very classic in its gameplay which is totally okay for me (i still love turn based battles), and very easy/accessible which is not necessarily a bad thing. Note that there is a Draconian quest AKA hard difficulty but i decided to play the first run the way developers intended.

The story is full of JRPG cliches, i'd say not that memorable although it has moments, and the cast is very charming. Also they kept all sorts of jokes typical of a DQ game which is nice.

The symphonic music surprised me: Nintendo originally said they were only field and battle themes, when there are actually more, almost all tracks i've heard so far are orchestrated and they add a lot compared to the MIDI versions of the previous release. Though i'd still say past DQ games like IX have better tracks. (the composition is just more interesting)

They added QoL improvements which really smooth the experience a lot like you can forge weapons everywhere, the ring command for the horse, or the super fast battle option which is great for grinding.

Now onto the things i didn't like:

• the free movement battle is so stupid (i'm sorry but that's true) since it adds nothing to the game, everyone still behave the same regardless of where you attack an enemy and the camera actually makes watching the attacks from your party members more difficult. There are other JRPGs who implemented a far better version of this, like Xenoblade games where they reward the correct positioning (for example if you attack from the side you can do this move which deals more damage than usual, or this enemy has a weaker spot on the tail so you should attack it from behind). Anyway thankfully it's not that big of a deal, since you can set the default camera locked option in classic DQ style which is better.

• There are certain aspects of the game that are kept archaic because that's how they were in previous entries and i get it, some of those i don't mind like you can only save by praying in a church or in front of a statue: it could be a deal breaker for some not having a save option before a boss battle but you can get used to it if you plan things in advance (a bit like in Monster Hunter games); while others are just annoying like menus intentionally convoluted, they often have an extra step that makes everything confusing. For example you press X to view the map of your zone but if you want the entire map of Erdrea it's on an entirely different menu, on general settings, why? it could have been just a button option from the map menu. Same goes for example for the battle speed which is not a quick toggle.

• Like i said the music are fine but all towns have the same 2 tracks: one for daytime and the other at night. I was a bit disappointed by it especially coming from JRPGs again like Xenoblade or Octopath Traveller which have so much variety in the tracks even for each town with different genres, different vibes for the village themes. It's a shame cause the towns in Dragon Quest XI S are so great and detailed, you'd want that attention to details reflected on the music as well, which sometimes doesn't even fit the mood.

Anyway i have the full game pre-ordered already, i couldn't resist to that Toriyama art for the retail version, so i'll probably finish it once it comes out (with possible multiple playthroughs): besides the flaws it's still a great game, and ofc i'm very curious to try out 2D mode and the new stories.

• Anyone else buy the ff8 remaster today?

• I've just bought FF8 again. I can't remember how many times I have beaten this game but I'm keen to see the new models and I guess trophies will finally set goals again.

• I've been distracted by CS Global Offensive for the past few days. Decided it's time to play at my own laptop instead of hogging my friend's PC. Anyway, I'm excited for the weekend to come so I can have some quality time with Control again.

I might try out FF VIII after that, I've been wanting to try it out for a long time and since not much comes out in this month that interests me then it might be the perfect time for it.

• FFVIII
    Gotta say. It's a pretty half-assed job they did and the game deserved better. I don't mind using cheats since I already did everything back in the day and drawing magic at 3x speed just saves so much time.
    Remade models just feels so out of the place and even saw Cid once in low quality that I took a pic of it.
    As a remaster I can't think of any other game that has gotten worse treatment.
    I still enjoy going through it since it is my favorite with that amazing OST and don't get bothered by graphics too much. Love how you can early on break a game even without cheats.

• @tearju-engi said in [Official] What are you playing?:

FFVIII

As a remaster I can't think of any other game that has gotten worse treatment.

Silent Hill 2 definitely got worse.

• I've played a bit of Darksiders 3 but its bored me already. I honestly haven't got a genuine good thing to say about it, it's just too run of the mill.

• I said "I'm gonna play some Astral Chain tonight!" but after spending an hour on those traffic puzzles I think I'm kinda spent. I'm way too dumb for this stuff. Did manage to somehow S+ all three of them though.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I decided to replay Postal 2 and it's still as fun as I remember to just go around town being a total psychopath.

• Control, Gears 5, and WoW Classic!

• I've been wanting to play something light, so I bought River City Girls right after watching the group stream. Just beat the first boss and I'm having a blast.

• I beat Astral Chain, and since Daemon x Machina hadn't showed up yet, I spent a bit of time in the NES thing. Vice Project Doom is actually pretty neat.

• Slay the Spire- I never thought In a million years that I'd be into a deck builder card game, but I heard it was good & it was on game pass so I gave it a go & to my surprise I'm totally addicted to it. Its easy to get into but the difficulty ramps up nicely. It has that one more try thing going for it. It goes to show going out of your comfort zone pays off sometimes.

• Daemon x Machina might end up as my personal goty, solely due to it scratching the rarely scratched "customize your mech to be sick as hell" itch. I do love all the weird characters you go on missions with though.

• Played the CoD Modern Warfare beta. I still can't get over how great it feels to shoot and aim here, the controls and gun feedback is off the charts. The maps that are available are pretty good too. God, i'm so excited for the full release. If only this weekend wasn't such a busy time...

• Finished a playthrough of Catherine Full Body last night. Going to start either Control or Greedfall tonight. Haven't decided yet.

• Haven't posted here in a while, I've been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses exclusively for the past month, I'm over 70 hours in and I still haven't finished my first playthrough (I'm on chapter 18 now, Blue Lions babyyyy).

I absolutely love it, I don't want it to end and am already thinking about which house to pick for a second playthrough, but at the same time I do want it to end because I have a lot of other games to play dammit!

• Fire Emblem 3 houses just failed a mission for the first time Dedue is a friggen tank
    im Black waifu house

• @ff7cloud said in [Official] What are you playing?:

Dedue is a friggen tank

My man!