[Official] What are you playing?

• Bought The Crew 2 last week to scratch my racing itch, played a couple hours already and it's way better than I expected. I remember Jones and Blood constantly shitting on the game so I didn't pick it up near launch, and I had low expectations coming in. The races are actually quite challenging since the AI doesn't rubberband too much (at least on the normal difficulty), and the open world nature of the street races in particular makes every mistake more painful since there's no invisible walls to prevent you going too far off track. The steering controls feel good, they're definitely on the arcade-y side and that's cool with me. Earning cash and getting new cars seems to be a bit too slow, I really want to buy a Porsche and I think it will be a while until I get there. The open world looks good in gameplay, I don't really care about the inaccuracies to the real world. The story stuff is quite bad but easily ignoreable for the most part. My main complaint right now is that switching from gameplay to menus is so slow, there's like a 10 second loading screen in between and its not snappy at all. Opening the map is pretty fast though.

• Started Playing It Takes Two with a friend and it's sensational, whimsical, creative and funny. I haven't had this much fun on co-op since Portal 2 a decade ago.

• Finally decided to replay Red Dead Redemption. I'm only 2 hours in, but the game seems to have introduced so much of its main pallete already, and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this. There's so much already that I want to talk about! Probably best if I keep most of it for later though.

First of all, it's so cool to see the parallels and differences when comparing it to RDR2. The funny thing is that this game's movement and combat controls feels way snappier and immediate. New Austin is a barren wasteland compared to the main land of 2, but it also makes me notice the beautiful skies more, and it's really cool to see the roots of RDR2's highly advanced skybox here. It's gonna be fun to see more of these connections as I play through this.

Back when I played RDR1 for the first time, I wasn't particularly great at speaking/understanding English, so there's probably many things that went over my head. Because of that, going through this story will be a fun mix of nostalgia and discovery for me. So far I'm liking the writing a lot, especially dialogues with Bonnie. Good VOs too.

I don't know if I actually will finish this playthrough, but right now I feel like I want to play a lot more of this. This Wild West just feels so cozy.

• Checked out Narita Boy on Gamepass for about an hour. Really cool asthetic & killer soundtrack but the jump controls feel off. There's just a slight delay which is a bit of a problem for a 2D platformer. I might hold off & see if they patch it. Otherwise it would be a pretty cool game.

• This post is deleted!

• I'm playing Octopath Traveller, I'm reaching the 20 hour and it feels like a game where a team came up with a world and art style that are really cool and absolutely nothing else. Such a vacuous experience so far.

• I'm playing RE2make( @DMCMaster 👌) again, on console this time. It's still great and looking good, "feeling the kill" and the sound bullets make on flesh is orgasmic. This and RE3make are some of the best TPS games, just so solid in terms of their gunplay which is awesome!

I heard Ada was in RE4 too, can't wait to see more of her in upcoming RE4make...

Unfortunately I'm becoming more and more hesitant to play on my PC and instead just go to my console, that's why I didn't touch Doom(2016) for 10 days. I may double dip on it for console just to continue this time. 😒

• Played Mizzurna Falls for a bit, and I pretty much have failed to progress in any meaningful way in the first day. I'm loving it though, it's such a crazy game. It's basically a real time schedule driven 3D open world adventure game for the PS1 made in 1998, it is indeed way ahead of its time. I missed like 5 important events because I didn't drive to someone's house fast enough, and I didn't pick up a map that was somewhat hidden so I got lost for pretty much the entire day. I probably have to restart and use a guide to finish this, but I don't mind, I just really want to play more of this.

• I'm replaying Ratchet & Clank 2016! Really for the Platinum and the 60fps upgrade. I just have the Max Out all Weapons trophy left! Because of this sudden playthrough though, I haven't touched Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Doom II in a week. Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii are my last two mainline Mario games I haven't hit credits on yet. So, soon I'll get there. Just Ratchet & Clank is stopping that progress.

• My Octopath Traveller journey is now finished after almost 30h. I gave it a fair chance and I genuinely dislike it. JRPGs aren't really my thing, but I can still enjoy them occasionally. Octopath has absolutely nothing going for it outside the art style.

Mediocre and ancient writing. Combat has some depth but gets stale after a few hours and OMG the incessant random encounters popping up every few seconds, super repetitive.

I'm a person who usually when is playing a game is focused 100%, no phone, no music, nothing. With this game half way through I was going online while playing and got to a point when I thought to myself, what's the point? Just to level up?

So yeah, onto the next game.

• Started playing Remothered: Broken Porcelain as it is currently on sale and it's a mess.

• @jdincinerator living up to its name, huh

• @bam541 Yes quite-I was going to say something about it being remothered because nobody loves it but that's quite cruel.

• So I played Fortnite for the first time since before Chapter 2 started. It's kinda weird now, and I like it more than before. I suck at the building mechanic so I naturally don't enjoy the combat as much as I would like (although the aiming feels impeccable with a controller, props to Epic for making it feel so great with analogs). Instead, I just run around the map to explore and complete quests and stuff, it's pretty neat. It basically feels like exploring an open PvE area in Destiny 2 (especially since they added bots to the mix), except it's also PvP, and because the battle royale mechanics are still there, it makes it feel like a singleplayer roguelike game where you're racing to complete as much as you can in a run.

• The hidden Timesplitters 2 port in Homefront have pretty much crashed on me every time I boot up a new level, so I guess my playthrough ends on the 4th level. As someone who never played the game before, I think it holds up okay. I respect that they just go crazy on the time travel concept, and make levels with very distinct settings.

Playing this makes me realize how much I miss these kind of old school shooters. You know, the ones where it's not just about mindlessly strafing around enemies and finding the exit, but also exploring the levels to complete various objectives that are tied to the completion of the level. Like, I want to play No One Lives Forever now, or those older 007 games like Nightfire. Most shooters these days usually just focus on squeezing out all they can from the core combat gameplay by adding new enemies, weapons or levels (the new Doom games comes to mind). I guess the recent Arkane games like Dishonored are the closest to this, although I'll be lying if I said that I view those games as shooters.

• Just bought Marvel's Avengers.
    Finally dropped to a price I was willing to pay (30 bux), the game's meta is getting a huge overhaul in June, and later in Summer they're finally dropping the Black Panther/Wakanda expansion.

Going to be playing with some old GT buddies. Hopefully it's good, or at least my unbridled love of capeshit will help me push through.

• @bam541 said in [Official] What are you playing?:

Played Mizzurna Falls for a bit, and I pretty much have failed to progress in any meaningful way in the first day. I'm loving it though, it's such a crazy game. It's basically a real time schedule driven 3D open world adventure game for the PS1 made in 1998, it is indeed way ahead of its time. I missed like 5 important events because I didn't drive to someone's house fast enough, and I didn't pick up a map that was somewhat hidden so I got lost for pretty much the entire day. I probably have to restart and use a guide to finish this, but I don't mind, I just really want to play more of this.

Wow, it's so wonderful to see someone trying that out for the first time, it's actually one of my personal favourites. Are you playing the translation?

• @sheria yeah, the translation seems really well written so far.