[Official] What are you playing?

• Today I tried JETT: The Far Shore out. I wasn't very interested when I saw the original trailer because the game didn't appeal to me and I wasn't really sure what it was all about. Now I've given it a couple of hours of my time it's not that bad, it's got some verdant landscapes and seascapes. The mysteriousness of the characters and the foreign tongue they speak gives JETT a way to stand out from other games released this year. I know @bam541 is a big fan so I'm glad I've tried out a game that comes highly recommended by a community member. If anyone else recommends a hidden gem for me to play I'm content to try them out.

• Played some games on the T-16 Mini. Ninja Gaiden is still annoying despite being slightly easier than its NES counterpart. I stopped after the 6th stage, because I found it too aggravating. Then I continued where I left off from Bomberman 94 and completed the 2rd world. Will do the 3rd world later. I tried Super Star Soldier, and I do not like this SHMUP's checkpoint structure. Dying takes you back to the start of the stage, unless you're fighting a boss. That is just dumb. So I quit.

I tried Seirei Senshi Spriggan next. Another SHMUP in the console's library of roms and I love it. It plays similar to Soldier Blade, except you control a mech called the Spriggan. You can collect power-ups and mix match different weapons in threes a la Soldier Blade. What's cool is that there is a mechanic where you can take your shooting power-up and use it as a bomb clear. Though you permanently lose the weapon or portions of the weapon, unless pick up another orb. Which there are plenty of that spawn at bosses or from killing certain enemies. I wish I could tell you the plot without looking up a wiki, but everything is in Japanese, and there are no subtitles. It's nothing too complicated, but it boils down to a guy and girl controlling the Spriggan, and fighting an evil empire that is cross between machine and mutated monsters. The third stage end boss is giant frog that is the video game equivalent of the Black Knight. Every time you blow up a piece of its body, the fucker just keeps jumping after you. It's to the point where its final form is just a heart attached to some intestines.

There are seven acts total, with Act 7 being a boss only level. Now that is a fun shoot'em up. It's also got some nice little bonuses. It's not much, but for 1991, that's not bad. There's a score attack mode and a time attack mode. Like I said before , there is story, but you're not going to know exactly what is going on, unless you know Japanese or look up a translation guide. The visuals give you enough ideas, thankfully. Also, the cut scenes pretty good too. There's a lot of nice details in them. Makes me feel like I'm playing in a 90s Mecha OVA. It creates this warm feeling inside.

• Started playing Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation 2. It's a free to play multiplayer game that has been in my radar for a while, and I have to say that I should have started this sooner because it's pretty sick. The controls feel weighty, and the combat can be very satisfying. The DualSense adaptive triggers usage are pretty great as well. I've been wanting to get into Gundam stuff for a while, and this does a decent job of that. Now I'm thinking about getting Code Fairy, a standalone story-focused expansion that's based on this game's core gameplay.

• So I finally managed to get ahold of a "PS2" (kinda), and now I can play Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, which I have been wanting to play for years now. It's definitely a much simpler game than AC5 and AC7, but honestly that's not a bad thing at all here. The missions are snappy and engaging, the controls holds up, and the music is pretty great. Also, I really like the aesthetics of the UI and such. I think I can finish this pretty quickly... as long as I don't die too much.

• Final fantasy 7 remake. its really good. combat is fun, story is pretty good, graphics are amazing.
    although too many cutscene but still very fun game.

• Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 for Gameboy Advance on Wii U. I stumbled across a video on this game last week and it turns out it had a bunch of levels that were only available through e-reader cards. Some of these were region and/or retailer limited so getting a full set was pretty much impossible. There were 38 total but a system could only store 32 at a time. The Wii U version comes with all 38 e-reader levels included so I bought it to play those and they are really good so far. If you like Mario 3 and have a Wii U, you should get this.

• Nier Replicant v1.22.....

So... on my last day of vacation over the holidays, I played about 10.5h of Nier for the first time. I would say about 95% of the time was spend doing a shameful amount of fetch quests. This game might have the most fetchy side quests of all time. I actually feel ashamed of myself for even doing them.

I'll be in a town like Seaside, clean up the missions. Then I'll return to my Village and get a new quest that'll say "A merchant in Seaside needs...." and I'll say to myself "BUT I WAS JUST THERE!".

I have no fucking clue why I did all of that bullshit. Maybe 1 of the 22 quests I did had any worthwhile story threads. It was all fetchy bullshit. Still, here I am. I like the vibe of Nier despite everything. It definitely feels like a prototype for Automata though. Even the themes of isolation and lack of empathy and humanity are better served in a post-apocalypse inhabited by androids and robots as opposed to a weird generic JRPG pseudo-medieval fantasy backdrop.

It's still cool to see the Blueprint and I'm so early on that I haven't hit any of the bonkers stuff.

• Kena: Bridge of Spirits

I have played it a little bit more than an hour and despite looking gorgeous it's bland? Hope that will change in the next hours or so but I don't likte the combat which was my main concern. Also why parrying is so hard in this game?

• Alan Wake Remastered (PS4) -I got the game free at GameStop last week with some trade ins, price matching, and a $5 coupon. I am already almost done with the game. I beat on 360 back in 2017, and got the dlc for free and beat that too. Fun game, but the formula does get repetitive by the 2/3 point. You will see everything game has to offer by that point. With Alan Wake II now official, I am expecting so many more improvements from Remedy.

• Started Huntdown. This game is fucking sick! The atmosphere of everything is top notch, with beautiful pixel art visuals and super solid 80s inspired banger tracks. Not to mention that the gameplay is basically a dynamic cover shooter combined with 2D platforming, which is a combination that I didn't know I needed.

• While playing through Mass Effect 2 LE I played the Shadow Broker DLC for the first time. I'm amazed by how good it is. I'm not much into getting DLC but this might be one of the best ones, no?

• @bam541 So glad you're loving Huntdown it's an amazing game.

• I'm playing Tales of Arise. It's one of two Tales games I've played for at least 10+ hours, and I'm loving it so far.

• Got halfway into Uncharted 4 in the Legacy of Thieves collection. I have to say that the 60 FPS coupled with the minor graphics improvements is much more pleasant than I expected. Like, it just feels so smooth and beautiful, it's very much feels like a great crossgen title. All ND games have to be 60 FPS now, there's just no going back after this lol. I was not planning to playing both U4 and LL in their entirety but now I feel like I have to, just as a treat for myself.

• @bam541
    Same started up my Uncharted 4 save the other night just to experience it a bit, then played up to just before the big marketplace shootout because I suddenly realized it was 5am, and I needed to be at work soon. Also I love how like stupidly fast the game loads, hit start and BAM right to it.

• Right now I'm playing DS2 for the first time. I'm very on the fence about keep playing it or not.

Right now I'll say, not only is by far the worst From Soft game that I've ever played but also that I've played better Souls like games. I hope I manage to get into it but so far it's such a colossal disappointment.

• @dmcmaster yeah the load times are so good, I actually don't have to wait like a full minute everytime I want to replay an encounter. I wonder how much this affects the speedruns.

• Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3). So far so good.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    If you can pick up the recent re-release, irons out some of the technical issues from the original release.

Been playing dying light 2. Short version of thoughts: Story is kinda boring, but just running from roof to roof is fun. Hell even the "go collect X amount Y things" type quest are actually fun to do. Once you get some of your parkor skills leveled up (mostly the skills you'd think would be available from the start in a sequel)

Edit:
    I have made a video where I ramble thru my thoughts a little bit. Going to try and make these a biweekly thing if time allows. Also practically no editing.
    Youtube Video

• Tried out the 5 hour Cyberpunk 2077 trial on PS5. Night City looks real good. The cyberpunk aesthetic is still very appealing to me despite being so popular these days. I also taken a liking to the writing and dialogues so far. Other than that, seems like a good podcast game, at least for when I'm doing the side stuff or cruising around the city. Probably won't buy it soon but I'll definitely get to it someday.