[Official] What are you playing?

• Nier Replicant v1.22.....

So... on my last day of vacation over the holidays, I played about 10.5h of Nier for the first time. I would say about 95% of the time was spend doing a shameful amount of fetch quests. This game might have the most fetchy side quests of all time. I actually feel ashamed of myself for even doing them.

I'll be in a town like Seaside, clean up the missions. Then I'll return to my Village and get a new quest that'll say "A merchant in Seaside needs...." and I'll say to myself "BUT I WAS JUST THERE!".

I have no fucking clue why I did all of that bullshit. Maybe 1 of the 22 quests I did had any worthwhile story threads. It was all fetchy bullshit. Still, here I am. I like the vibe of Nier despite everything. It definitely feels like a prototype for Automata though. Even the themes of isolation and lack of empathy and humanity are better served in a post-apocalypse inhabited by androids and robots as opposed to a weird generic JRPG pseudo-medieval fantasy backdrop.

It's still cool to see the Blueprint and I'm so early on that I haven't hit any of the bonkers stuff.

• Kena: Bridge of Spirits

I have played it a little bit more than an hour and despite looking gorgeous it's bland? Hope that will change in the next hours or so but I don't likte the combat which was my main concern. Also why parrying is so hard in this game?

• Alan Wake Remastered (PS4) -I got the game free at GameStop last week with some trade ins, price matching, and a $5 coupon. I am already almost done with the game. I beat on 360 back in 2017, and got the dlc for free and beat that too. Fun game, but the formula does get repetitive by the 2/3 point. You will see everything game has to offer by that point. With Alan Wake II now official, I am expecting so many more improvements from Remedy.

• Started Huntdown. This game is fucking sick! The atmosphere of everything is top notch, with beautiful pixel art visuals and super solid 80s inspired banger tracks. Not to mention that the gameplay is basically a dynamic cover shooter combined with 2D platforming, which is a combination that I didn't know I needed.

• While playing through Mass Effect 2 LE I played the Shadow Broker DLC for the first time. I'm amazed by how good it is. I'm not much into getting DLC but this might be one of the best ones, no?

• @bam541 So glad you're loving Huntdown it's an amazing game.

• I'm playing Tales of Arise. It's one of two Tales games I've played for at least 10+ hours, and I'm loving it so far.

• Got halfway into Uncharted 4 in the Legacy of Thieves collection. I have to say that the 60 FPS coupled with the minor graphics improvements is much more pleasant than I expected. Like, it just feels so smooth and beautiful, it's very much feels like a great crossgen title. All ND games have to be 60 FPS now, there's just no going back after this lol. I was not planning to playing both U4 and LL in their entirety but now I feel like I have to, just as a treat for myself.

• @bam541
    Same started up my Uncharted 4 save the other night just to experience it a bit, then played up to just before the big marketplace shootout because I suddenly realized it was 5am, and I needed to be at work soon. Also I love how like stupidly fast the game loads, hit start and BAM right to it.

• Right now I'm playing DS2 for the first time. I'm very on the fence about keep playing it or not.

Right now I'll say, not only is by far the worst From Soft game that I've ever played but also that I've played better Souls like games. I hope I manage to get into it but so far it's such a colossal disappointment.

• @dmcmaster yeah the load times are so good, I actually don't have to wait like a full minute everytime I want to replay an encounter. I wonder how much this affects the speedruns.

• Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3). So far so good.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    If you can pick up the recent re-release, irons out some of the technical issues from the original release.

Been playing dying light 2. Short version of thoughts: Story is kinda boring, but just running from roof to roof is fun. Hell even the "go collect X amount Y things" type quest are actually fun to do. Once you get some of your parkor skills leveled up (mostly the skills you'd think would be available from the start in a sequel)

Edit:
    I have made a video where I ramble thru my thoughts a little bit. Going to try and make these a biweekly thing if time allows. Also practically no editing.
    Youtube Video

• Tried out the 5 hour Cyberpunk 2077 trial on PS5. Night City looks real good. The cyberpunk aesthetic is still very appealing to me despite being so popular these days. I also taken a liking to the writing and dialogues so far. Other than that, seems like a good podcast game, at least for when I'm doing the side stuff or cruising around the city. Probably won't buy it soon but I'll definitely get to it someday.

• Playing Sifu and it's a great example of how can be a good idea turn into torture.

Awful progression system, incredibly annoying diffuculty, boring repetition 'till death and combat isn't suitable for fighting multiple enemies AT ALL!

I would like to see this game adapt something like Arkham's combat; then even with all the annoyance I could tolerate it. Another thing could be ''real'' progression between runs or have an ability to start from the boss etc.

• Just finished up playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Persona 5 Royal and now able to focus on Pokemon Legends Arceus and Horizon: Forbidden West finally. Backlog stuff for the month of March is Paper Mario, Sin & Punishment, Outer Wilds, and Halo Reach. Thankful March in the middle is tame from what I recall!

• @scotty

Just beat the 2nd boss but I have to beat it again! You know why if you've played the game. Never thought I wouldn't be satisfied for beating a boss that I stuck for hours or days.

• Just played GT7 for a bit.... I'm using that as a chance to post this
    Youtube Video

• This may seem out of the blue, but I'm playing Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine rn. I have this itch for a while, for a linear action-adventure-platforming game along the lines of Uncharted and the old Tomb Raiders. The itch gotten especially stronger since the industry is visibly going away from these kind of games, and the recent Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection only served as a reminder of that. After a couple hours of searching the internet, I have a couple of games I want to try out, and the first one is this. About 2 hours in and I'm already quite comfortable with how the game controls, and also the quirky level design. Having a great time so far. I do want to get to the old TR games since I barely played them, but I kinda want to try out weirder stuff first.

On a side note, the previously mentioned itch has gotten strong enough that I feel compelled to learn game development again so I can make a game like this myself. I'll be aiming very low, of course. I don't have much free time anyways. Nothing might come out from this, but I just feel like I need to mention it.

Also, I hope to god that the Indy game MachineGames is working on is an third person action game. I'll play it regardless but man, that would be lovely. Just announce the platforms soon so I can prepare to save up for an Xbox if needed, lol.

• Jokes on me, I got Gran Turismo 7 way earlier than I expected (like a week earlier, sorry Indiana Jones) and it's taking over my life already. My first impressions, 5 hours in:

• GT keeps being classy af. The music, the vibes, the writing, it's real nice. It definitely feels fresh, especially when you consider how many racing games out there try to be "zany" and "hip", like The Crew 2 or the Forza Horizon games. I wish more games try to feel like this. Also nice to see some tracks from older GT games return.
    • The GT Cafe is brilliant. Not only the vibes are relaxing as heck, but the menus provide a excellent way of easing players to the game, introducing features one by one. It's really neat to listen to Luca and the others talk about cars.
    • I love driving using the DualSense motion controls! Feels really natural and accurate. It's more fun than analog controls but it's also more stressful because it requires more effort. Both are fantastic ways to play, especially considering how great GT7 feels. The haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers feels great too.

So far it's GOTY contender already. Excited to just play a couple races and such every so often. It's definitely going go be my go-to game when I'm not in the mood for story heavy stuff.