[Official] What are you playing?

• Playing Ape Escape through the PS Plus upgrade thingy. It's real jolly. Loving the vibes and such. The controls took me like 5 minutes to get used to, which surprised me. I've been playing mostly open world games for the past few months so this level based linear structure feels very cozy.

• This post is deleted!

• Anybody remember when some maniac wrote in to the podcast to say Bloodborne was the best game for them to play at the time because they had a newborn? I do because I also had a newborn at the time and couldn't fathom the kind of person I would be if I had spent the little free time I had further torturing myself. Fast forward and now I have 2 little ones running around so that, once they are down, I am very limited in brain power that I can apply to my hobbies. I probably have 2-hour save files in over 10 games from the last year that I don't see myself returning to because even thinking about cut scenes and dialogue and instant death spells instantly puts me off it.

Enter Lego Marvel Super Heroes. The level of forgiveness is exactly what I need from a game right now. Everything is just so brain-half-on that it's perfect for the gelatin that occupies my skull by the end of the day.

Note: love my kids, it's just tiring trying to keep up with them.

• @e_zed_eh_intern

I don't have kids but even with general working and life, I much prefer a round or two of Halo on a weeknight or early morning after working out instead of settling into an Elden Ring session. Honestly not sure how I'll ever beat that game unless I take a 2 week vacation dedicated to video games.

I always wondered how Jones pulled off all of those hours of video games with a little baby at home. Maybe some people just function better with 3 hours of sleep than others do.

• Tried out Left Alive since it's included in the PS Plus catalog. I have to say, this game is pretty cool so far (one hour in). The presentation is probably the best part of it, the UI and visual stuff looks and feels slick. The soundtrack is pretty decent too. There's definitely some jank and clunkyness to the gameplay, but nothing offensive yet. I guess the worst part of it is the voice warning you that's there's enemies nearby, it's not annoying yet but I can see myself getting tired of it soon.

• The Shadowrun series was remastered and came to GamePass. So far no technical issues although I've heard bad things like crashes and severe stuttering. But so far I had no issues and I'm loving it.

• I got PS2 emulation running on my phone so I finally put the work in order to play one of my fav childhood games: Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Turns out my eventual love for Uncharted started out here. The deliberate pace of this game is lovely, and super refreshing. I never finished this game so at some point it will be new stuff, which is so exciting. I will be holding off my playthrough of Infernal Machine for this.

• I'm back on Chivalry II now that it launched on Steam, had a big free update, and has crossplay between PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series. Technically, there still isn't cross-play parties which will come in an update soon, but you can organize with your friends to all hop on the same server. It's easy peasy to join one that has 4/40 and it'll populate within 10-15 mins.

What. A. Game.

Chiv II is so much more fun with friends. It's the kind of game where you can play it as sweaty or as casual as you'd like and nobody really gets too upset either way. It really sets you up to have these personal emergent experiences in MP that you don't get in normal games.

Organically, my buddy somehow survived a 2v1 off to the side of the map and tea bagged the enemy. They came back for him, but I was there now. We had a 2v2 battle and we won again and tea bagged again. They come back and we're still there waiting for them. We do another 2v2 but they win this time and tea bag us. It's all friendly and fun. Eventually we lost that part of the objective and the game flowed on but it's cool to have those little moments that are off to the side, happen naturally, and are deeply personal.

Per the new Tenosian Invasion update—it adds a whole new Team and three new maps (+night versions). Those maps have horse cavalries that spawn in which is really epic. It also adds horseback to old maps. Obviously, tons of cosmetics like usual. A few new weapons I think. On one hand, a lot of these free updates were needed to improve the game. On the other hand, it's insane how much free content they've put into this game. Such great dev support. It's so fun.

Hard to argue with getting this on Steam for 40% off @ $26: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1824220/Chivalry_2/

Chivalry 2: Tenosian Invasion
    Youtube Video

• I've been playing F1 22 like a mad man. I managed to scoop 72% of the trophies in less the 24 hours, which beats the entirety of my F1 2021 trophy percentage by a singular percent.

As for the game itself, it's really good in place, the handling gives you a greater sense of control, and now I feel way more confident taking on the Monaco GP without the fear I'll plant my car into the wall after a small error. I quite enjoy driving round the new Miami street circuit, it's quite a tight circuit at times but the straights are nice and lengthy. I appreciate the slight alterations to the Australian and Abu Dhabi GPs as well.

The addition of F1 Life and the supercars are fine additions, but they turn F1 into something resembling MTV's Cribs. I don't believe supercars belong in an F1 game at all, but I understand their inclusion will probably open more eyes up to this latest F1 outing. The cars themselves sport nice chunky models, but they feel like you're steering a shopping trolley with a cow inside, so it may take a bit of time to nail down the feel of each car and how they react to cornering.

Pirelli Hotlaps present a decent set of challenges too with time trials, time attacks, drifts, duels and a few other event types that shake things up, though there is no real zest or context to them-so they're like the license tests in Gran Turismo, but without much of the learning involved.

I don't yet know if F1 22 does enough to surpass last year's game, but with better handling, improved A.I and F1 Life-F1 22 is stocked with features that'll keep you busy for a while.

• I'm almost done with Ape Escape again, just on the PS5 but holy **** does it run like crap.
    It's honestly just not enjoyable to play and not just because it's our rubbish EU version. I slapped my PS1 copy in the other day just to double check but no, the PS5 emulation of this game is slow, choppy and just can't keep up with the control inputs.

• @sheria It always confuses me when multi billion dollar companies can't match emulators done by the community when on top of all the know how and internal technical documentation they just have to make it run on a specific target hardware.

• Started a bunch of games recently, here's all the games that I didn't abandon right away.

1. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I don't know why I took me so long to play this, got through the first 2 chapters and everything I played so far speaks to me so much.
    2. Crash Bandicoot 4. I can't believe how smooth and precise the controls are. The level design is still as infuriating as ever tho, lol.
    3. I Am Dead. I'm surprised by how well written and voice acted the dialogues are in this game. Also the vibes are chill af. Probably the coolest and most developed hidden objects game I ever played.

• @Shoulderguy I was looking at your GG App lists and saw you "Abandoned" Total War Warhammer III. I was thinking about playing that as my next big game after I get through some smaller ones. Any reason you dropped it? I haven't played any Total War games before, but I thought the art style of Warhammer III looked good.

• Started up God of War: Ghost of Sparta and a Pokemon Rom Hack, Pokemon Gaia recently! Those have been the main two focuses! Over the weekend I did play some Banjo Kazooie, Jak X: Combat Racing, and unpaused Jak II. Who knows if I'll actually consistently play those at this very moment. But we shall see! Banjo is on my Backlog Goals for the year so I better consistently play it.

God of War Series Platinum Playthrough is going well! Finished God of War over the weekend which just leaves Ghost of Sparta, 2, and 3 for me to Platinum. So I am slowly going through the series! Think I wanna commemorate by 3D Printing a Platinum trophy and maybe just make a fake plaque with God of War on it lol.

• @dipset said in [Official] What are you playing?:

@Shoulderguy I was looking at your GG App lists and saw you "Abandoned" Total War Warhammer III. I was thinking about playing that as my next big game after I get through some smaller ones. Any reason you dropped it? I haven't played any Total War games before, but I thought the art style of Warhammer III looked good.

I played about 10 hours of Total War Warhammer III on Game Pass. The problem is my PC is not good enough to run the game. I can only play the overworld turn-based part of the game but I have to auto simulate all the real-time battles. Which sucks because I really enjoy the battles in Total War. Also February was a busy time for new releases so I moved on to other games but I'm not sure yet if I'll pick it back up.

Auto simulate is an option in all the Total War games, before you start a battle, it shows you the size of both army's and the balance of power. So some times you know it's an easy win and auto simulate is a quicker option. In my experience, the results are always better when you fight the battles. But you can use auto simulate for the entire game if you want to play it that way.

• @shoulderguy

Ahh gotcha. So it's still a solid game, but you'll come back to it later when your hardware is better.

Is it approachable to newbies? Auto-battles sound nice but I think I'd prefer to get into the battles myself. Something about these strategy / RTS style games intimidate me but Warhammer III does look awesome.

• It took me over an hour to get the Can't Cat-ch Me trophy in Stray, but finally it clicked. Now that it's over the game can actually begin (it's in Chapter 2). The world seems really quiet and calm in this, it's beautiful in its own way. Being a cat is a really welcome change of pace for a protagonist.

• Playing Stray and it's mediocre for now. I should be more careful about my expectations towards beatiful looking indies.

• @scotty My sentiments are similar but I do still find a handful of nice things in Stray too.

• LIVE A LIVE
    Critics have been giving high praise to this RPG that's apparently a remake of a game that came out back in 1994. I've given the demo a spin and I dig the grid-based battle system even though I don't like grid-based battle systems. From what I can glean it's quite a pleasant and kickass little game. I like that you can play as various powerful characters with their own stories too. The full game isn't expensive either-over here in the UK it's £39.99, whatever that equates to in the US I don't know, but I think it looks like it could be very well worth the money.