[Official] What are you playing?

• Two Point Campus

A fission of hesitance washed over my mind before starting Two Point Campus. I had played Two Point hospital, and while I really enjoyed its sense of humor I found it quite intimidating, the sense of urgency not helping at all-because you're creating these hospitals to save lives, and I felt like I needed to be on my A game in order to make the best hospital with the best facilities that I could. I ended up not playing too much of it and drifting off when I thought I was going to get stuck.

Now that I've been playing Two Point Campus since it came to Game Pass on Tuesday, and I have to say I am loving it. It's much easier, breezier and more enjoyable to play. Building campuses and managing funds is very straightforward-something that usually puts me off management-type games. Keeping track of the students' progress, hiring and firing staff and generally overseeing the development of your educational institution is just a welcoming and quirky experience. The levels always bring in new elements to keep the game from growing stale too which is awesome.

Seriously if management games scare you off or disinterest you then I think Two Point Campus is the antidote you're looking for...no wait that's Two Point Hospital, ok it's the scholarship you've been looking for-is that better? Anyway it's very good.

• Returnal. Late to the party on this one but I guess thats excusable when the party of people that can track down a PS5 is so exclusive. What an incredible game. When the allies gave it GOTY last year I was sortof on the outside looking in and thinking "really?" but everything about this game, from the atmosphere to the tight controls and boss designs is just on point. Currently banging my head, hard, against the 5th biome which is just beginning to feel masochistic but I just know that the right combination of random drops and a little bit of luck will come together at some point to get me through it.

• Haha, case in point, I just had a great run and beat the biome. So good.

• ....and in fact went on to beat the game on the same run lol.

• Played Saints Row for a bit. So far the game's been kinda frustrating, there's a lot to like here but there's these bugs and weird shit that adds up and drives me nuts. The shooting is more fun when I just let the lock in system take over because the aiming is so unwieldy. All the vehicles feel so stiff. The sound mixing reminds me of those Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers where they mute everything else but the dialogues. Some of the settings doesn't work because I increased the subtitles size and they're still small as heck. I don't even know where the analog sensitivity settings are. Heck, I can't even turn on the Dualsense adaptive triggers because for some reason I can't turn it on without inverting my left analog stick controls. What the fuck?

Thank god my brother bought this for me because it's so not worth it right now, lol. I think I'll let Volition patch this game for a bit until I jump in again.

• @bam541 Ugh looks like another one of those "release now patch later" games. Volition are a hell of a lot better than this. Guess they've bought in to this undesirable trend in modern gaming. I find this new Saints Row to be like Far Cry 6 last year and it's quite deflating.

• I'm playing Midnight Fight Express and really surprised how boring it got even in this amount of short time. I only completed %25 of it and already thinking how much can I endure until the end.

After this one, I will probably take a break from indie games for a looong time. They really started to annoy me. Promising trailers/not worthy game.

• @jdincinerator

Yeap, I agree. I felt more intimated in the previous game but this one is so far so good. I am enjoying it and curious too see which new need will happen for the campus/students/departments etc.

I'm only in the second year, so it's still fresh but hope it won't get overwhelming.

• Saints Row

Other titles for this reboot could be Safe Row or Saints Row Lite. This may sound like blatant disparagement of this fresh kickin Saints Row reboot, but I can't find any way to favorably position it alongside its forebears. I do like what this new Saints Row has to offer. The missions are high-octane and rather enjoyable, even though the pacing is overdriven. I like a few of the ways these bombastic missions play out with cool songs accompanying climactic dramatic crescendos. I am also willing to applaud the game's distinctive flavor, as it really does feel like a different Saints Row, despite having gone through a bilateral orchiectomy. Just a shame Saints Row feels like a pencil sketch of Saints Row without the ink or color.

I knew well before playing that this Saints Row had had its balls removed. The characters are bland and lack pronounced personality, much of what made Saints Row good to begin with has been retained, but hasn't been improved upon, it's visually an ugly duckling, the vehicle handling is atrocious, there's no 80s radio station; generally the feeling is this Saints Row probably watched what the Saints from the previous games did, and decided to be inspired enough to form their own crappier version of The Saints gang.

I agree my thoughts seem to gently clean and pamper the chest before I drive a huge stake through its heart, but seriously it's an ok game and it's entertaining enough.

• Started TLOU Part I. About 1.5-2 hours in and I'm very impressed. This pretty much shows what it would be like if Part II was a native PS5 game. I think the improved facial animations are the highlight so far. The opening is even more heart wrenching because of it, and it also adds so much personality to the enemies, seeing the way they struggle as Joel chokes them.

• @bam541 Do you think it's worth buying The Last of Us Part I considering it's the third release of TLOU in 9 years? I was keen to get it, but when I saw the reviews, I concluded that it's likely going to be the same experience but more polished. Also do you feel Part I justified its full price tag?

• @jdincinerator If you think graphics are very important, also love TLOU as much as I do, AND you're in the mood for a TLOU replay then it's definitely worth the price tag. For folks who never played it before I think it's worth it also. In all other circumstances I would just tell you to wait, there's no rush to play it anyways because it's so faithful. Just know that whenever you decide to pick it up it's gonna be a good time. It's a very well made remake that not only makes the original material shine brighter but also makes me appreciate the sequel more.

• @bam541 Ok thanks for your insights. Also are you going to put a 'New Games of September' post?

• @jdincinerator oh yeah I forgot lol thx for reminding me

• I'm playing Ni No Kuni, and I'm comfortable to say that this is the first JRPG I'm going to finish in many years.

Still there's some design choices in the genre I don't get like being more than 2h into the game and still feeling like I'm in the tutorials, the over explaining of everything and how it deals with combat... Seriously, what joy is there in having a fight every 30 seconds that in the end makes you go through the same animations and progression screen, it literally drives me insane. Such a buzz kill how these issues drain games of any flow. Now at 7h the pace is slightly better and the world and characters make me tolerate all the bs inherent to the genre.

But don't get me wrong I'm really liking it.

Hoping that later in the year when P5 comes to GP I manage to enjoy it too

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• I just finished my first ever RE4 run on Professional. While I beat all of the mercenaries, 5 stars for each character on the Gamecube I for some reason never did a Pro run, in fact it's the only RE game where I haven't other than the god awful RE6.

I've now moved on to playing Blue Reflection: Second Light on the Switch.

• So... I did my best but I had to drop Ni No Kuni. I think I'm done with the genre for good. At around 25 hours my enjoyment had been diminishing to the point that I can say other than its charm I pretty much hate everything about it.

I'm now playing Deathloop.

• @phbz I don't blame you, the grind of the gameplay counters the excellent story and characters it's quite a shame.

• @jdincinerator Do you play JRPGs? I really try my best but I can't finish them. This one I was hoping to get to the end but it became impossible. I've only finished FF7 and Lost Odyssey but I've tried several through my life, I think my personality just isn't compatible with the genre.

Reflecting about it I think it's because they have several characteristics that are contrary to what I love about games. I can not get immersed because it's constantly reminding me I'm operating a videogame and the genre lacks elasticity too.