[Official] What are you playing?

• @sheria

I think you're right and that's partly why the series has unified into the Like A Dragon title. Kiryu basically left the Yakuza after Yakuza 0 and he's never really been in it from the offset. I love the title Yakuza tbh but it makes sense to finally drop it. Even in Y:LAD it starts to stray off from the core Japanese Yakuza pretty quickly.

In terms of Yakuza 6, the vibe is really solidified for me in the side stories. The plot was fine but the whole overarching themes about family and getting older ooze into the side stories too. I think the concept of "life" and it's many twists and turns over time was actually pretty tastefully done for a game that also has wannabe Yakuza thugs shooting RPGs off in quiet small town roads.

One of my favourite sub-stories / mini-games was consoling the sad depressed guys at the bar in Onomichi. Something about that town just made me feel nostalgic.

• Started playing Tokimeki Memorial. I just found out that the Super Famicom version got a fan-made English patch months ago, I should have known about this sooner! Anyways it's really cool, there's definitely more than meets the eye here. I watched Tim Roger's video enough times to know how to play it, and it seems to be going well. Going after Yuko Asahina rn, fingers crossed that I don't fuck it up lol

• Zelda Oracle of Seasons. Great game. Looks and plays like Link's Awakening but lots of differences in terms of story and items. Hopefully I will make it all the way through as I know I have started it at least once before.

• Gave Cyberpunk 2077 another shot after I watched Edgerunners. This time I got a cheap PS4 copy to get the PS5 upgrade. I was disappointed by how "standard" the game feels the last time I played it, but now I can set my expectations better and actually enjoy the game for what it is: a huge collection of tried-and-true western RPG tropes.

• @bam541 Literally doing the same thing. I had it on GOG but I sortof felt like I should give it a try on PS5 so bought the PS4 disc and upgraded. This is my third or fourth fresh start after having the game never click with me. I am not sure if it was Edgerunners or just the cumulative patches but it finally got me. It is certainly not a revolutionary open world game which may be what lead to everyone's collective disappointment but it is certainly a good one. I think I will def see it through to the end this time.

• Got a PS2 FPS game called Cold Winter. It seems that it's a PS2 exclusive, released in 2005. I have to say that I'm liking what I played so far. It's a slower paced linear shooter, very much made to be a gamepad FPS game. The gunplay felt nice, the enemy AI is decent, and there's satisfying gore-y kill feedback. There's a couple of neat elements too like environmental storytelling and basic crafting mechanics, it helps make it feel like the game is not just a simple shooter. The story so far is a pretty grounded spies story, you're a former MI6 special operative and you're kinda forced to work for some dude that the character used to know after he broke you out of a prison. I wish there's subtitles lol.

• Sonic Frontiers
    This is such a weird experiment of a game, you've got overworlds that is this odd cross between asset flip and purposeful design. A nice relaxing melody in said world, and probably the best that Sonic has controlled in a 3D space since the Adventure games.

I'm not sure what it is but I feel sorta compelled to play it, like there's this simple joy that I haven't felt since Super Mario 64 of making the character move from A to B, I just wish the world (first island) had less grind rails and boost pads and designed the environment more like a THPS level.

• Fimbulwinter is here.

• Nintendo

• My weekend
    0_1668305054671_FB_IMG_1668305034371.jpg

• I'm giving Sekiro another shot and almost back to where I was (The Ape).

There are definitely some sections of the game where I feel my previous playthrough has improved my general skill; bosses such as the Ogre, Lady Butterfly and that Horse guy I all beat fairly comfortably compared to how I was when the game first came out. Genichero (sp?) was the biggest shock though as I beat him on my third attempt, it took me about 30 tries before.

Drunkards, Snake Eyes and a number of others I still seriously struggle with though so I'm hating the thought of trying the Ape once again.

• Currently playing Mass effect legendary edition.

Mass effect 1 had excellent universe and world but wasted on terrible gameplay. Mass effect 2 might have improve gameplay but too much wall cover.

such an excellent lore sci fi universe wasted on third person wall cover shooter. it should have been FPS or immersive sim like system shock.

• @sheria

I hate to admit it, but I just don't love Sekiro all that much. It's a shame because the highs are so high, but I almost get anxious thinking about how in-tune you have to be with your gaming skills to beat bosses or mini-bosses.

One thing I appreciate is the linear open world. Not too big, not too small. But the best part is how you aren't bogged down with RPG skill trees like in most modern action games like God of War or Horizon. Everybody is on the same playing field as they progress through the game.

But once you get stuck, you don't really want to go back. It's just a bit too hard for me and I don't like dialing in that much.

• Need For Speed: Unbound

I'm starting to feel just how irrelevant the Need For Speed franchise is becoming now. There hasn't been a stellar entry in this premier racing game franchise in over a decade, and this latest entry Need For Speed: Unbound, does little to assuage this feeling, as it continues to let the franchise tumble around in the microwave of mediocrity.

The main problem with Unbound is the name is misleading. Unbound means there are no shackles or restrictions, yet in this effort invisible walls, a refusal to let you experiment with course routes, and a confinement to largely tame urban street races, makes this year's NFS entry a tumbleweed that's sweeping wearisomely by.

The only distinguishing feature of the latest NFS, is a sloppy and garish artistic presentation that looks ugly as it tries to be hip with the cool teenagers of today. The art style is flat and revolting, coming across like vomiting colourful goop that'd easily fail in a 5 year-olds painting competition. This aesthetic is dragged into the gameplay, represented as visual flecks of "coolness", as your car will spout colourful drawn-on wings as your car vaults into the air, and adds an extra plume to the gas your ride will give off when you drift.

Certain aspects of the gameplay are irritating. Cornering feels like an elephant has just plonked its oversized buttocks on your car, and crashing can be a controller-crushing frustration as traffic litters the streets, putting pay to your speed-freakiness if you aren't particularly careful. Suffices to say, Unbound falls in the face of its grander contemporaries in the genre such as FORZA Horizon 5 and EA's own GRID: Legends.

The cops still hang around to cause more headaches in Unbound and they add next to nothing of substance to the racing experience. Sometimes they'll appear right after you completed a race, forcing you to evade them, but thankfully they are easy to outrun on low-heat levels-but they're unwanted attention to say the least.

The story is all about rising up to prove yourself as a racer-pretty much the same old setup as other NFS games. Characters are idiotic and unfortunately, they'll be sitting with you in the car you are racing, so if you want a free blight of badgering headaches to accompany your intense racing you'll get it here. Also expect talk of food and possums too because y'know Need For Speed has to be seen as hip and cool, even though calling this outing cool is like calling a pig between two wooden planks a bacon sandwich.

Online, it's pretty nice to jump into playlists-a series of races between you and up to 7 other drivers, but there are no concessions made for inexperienced racing gamers, who will be thrown in at the deep end and swim or sink with the sharks. Finding sessions is easy enough, but there are times where you will be left hanging in lobbies too.

There remains the feeling that NFS: Unbound is sticking to tried and true formulae to get by. The story is weightless, the characters are a bunch of brain-dead morons, the racing is passable but without vigor, the sense of speed is good if you can avoid the traffic and dodge the dregs of questionable handling, and the artistic choices made make the game stand out but for mostly the wrong reasons. There's not much in Unbound to complement, it's just another Need For Speed game for better and worse, showing few fundamental improvements-but hey if you like your racing game's vacuous and dumb then it might be what you're looking for.

• I'm a few hours in NFS Unbound and I'm pleasantly surprised! Really enjoying it rn.

The drifting mechanic and the nitrous system are real fun to learn. The art style makes me actually care for my character's look, spent a lot of time picking out the right clothes and stuff. I also like the risk of losing money if you perform subpar in the higher stakes races. The soundtrack selection is also pretty great, I'm not the biggest hip hop fan but it works so well with the vibe the game is going for.

I guess the thing that I feel mixed about is the city, there's nothing that makes this location stand out for me. Also the cops are very mid so far, no threat. The story is nothing to write home about but it's very unintrusive, so we all good.

Got a few more hours in the free trial so I'm gonna make the most of it.