[Official] What are you playing?

• So, I finally took the plunge and started playing Bloodborne.

Not sure how I feel about it so far. I appreciate the world, the atmosphere, the level structure with the shortcuts to unlock and so on.

But I don't enjoy the gameplay. The movement and combat feels janky. I'd heard stories about the framerate, and boy they weren't lying. I'm not usually too sensitive to that stuff but it makes moving around quite unenjoyable. I feel slow and heavy, even though apparently it's meant to be much faster than other Souls games? Bayonetta this ain't!

It's also not great-looking, is it? I mean, the art direction is awesome, but the actual models, lighting and so on are pretty subpar. Almost feels like a last-gen game at times. The player character model for example is so unattractive! Mass Effect could produce cooler characters than that...

Anyway, my experience yesterday was exactly what I feared before I started playing:

I went through the intro stuff, got my weapons, started exploring. Opened the first shortcut gate and fought this big guy with a massive cleaver, tucked away in a corner. Clearly an optional enemy, clearly meant to be hard for a rookie player. Cool, challenge accepted. Took me 10 tries but I beat him. And... no reward of any kind. I searched all around its area, nothing, just a dead-end. Wow, way to reward players for exploring... Mkay, moving on. I went through the whole brazier area, killed everyone there, moved on to kill the big guy banging on the gate, kept going, reached a giant bridge with 2 big black wolves, killed them too. At this point I was so stressed because I'd been playing for 20 minutes and still no checkpoint or shortcut of any kind. I had around 5,000 blood echoes. I crossed the bridge, fought more monsters. Surely a lamp awaits at the end of that bridge, right? Nope, here's the first boss, with zero warning. Obviously I died, and lost all my progress.

Is this the Souls experience everyones loves so much? Because I hated it.

On the way to the bridge I had spotted a couple ledges I could jump down from, but since I had no way to know where they led, and couldn't get back up if I jumped, I didn't. Later on I tried and indeed discovered a shortcut leading back to the bridge. It's very hard for me to call this good game/level design... I get that the whole point of those games is to create a hostile atmosphere and let players figure everything out by themselves, but when it leads to tricking and ambushing the player at every turn, I just feel unwelcome, period.

Hollow Knight has a similar philosophy but it never feels unfair. It at least has the decency of providing save points before bosses, and signposting its paths clearly enough to not mislead the player too much (although you can definitely still get lost).

And yet, despite all that, I can't wait to get back to it tonight and give that boss another shot, so I guess the game is doing something right! Maybe it'll grow on me eventually and I'll finally see what everyone else seems to see in it.

I have a couple noob questions:

• Is there a map??
    • Is there a way to safeguard my Blood Echoes somewhere? Say I want to save up for something that costs 2,000 Souls, can I gather 1,000 and "store" them somewhere and get the rest later? Or do I have to survive long enough to accumulate whatever I need? I feel like that would just encourage grinding, is that something people do in those games?

• @axel Answer to your questions. No.

I love that about Souls games, that you actually can lose something on a fight, or just by venturing exploring. It creates a sense of genuine dread that I deeply appreciate. And then just going back to recover your loss, that can be an adventure in it self. And the feeling of hopelessness when you fail to recover your blood echoes/souls... I love it.

• Update to my Bloodborne impressions.

I gotta say, I'm changing my tune, I really got into it now. I think I made some good progress, defeated several bosses:

Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia, Blood-starved Beast, Witch of Hemwick and Darkbeast Paarl.

Those who have finished the game: can you tell me if those are supposed to be easy, or if I can beat those, I can beat anything? (please don't dash my hopes)

Combat is clicking with me now, I quite enjoy switching weapons/weapon forms, I still die regularly but only when I get careless and over-confident, outside of bosses of course.

I also enjoy the new environments a lot more than the starting area, I gotta hand it to this game: it does creepy atmosphere like no other.

I honestly think the beginning of the game does it a great disservice, it is so harsh and unwelcoming, it turned me off for years, and looking at the trophy completion, it turned off more than half the players... Would it really hurt to ramp up the difficulty a bit more gradually, introduce concepts like shortcuts in a more obvious and forgiving manner? I understand it's meant to be a trial by fire to prepare you for the rest of the game, but I still maintain it's done poorly.

Anyway, I'm deep into it now and unless I hit a major wall, I'm expecting to finish the game. I'm starting to see where they hype is coming from, better late than never.

As an added bonus, my girlfriend saw me play and immediately got very intrigued by the game, and she really enjoys seeing the bosses wreck me. She sits next to me secretly googling the next steps and just teasing "Oh you're gonna get your ass kicked..." It adds to the experience!

• @axel said in [Official] What are you playing?:

Those who have finished the game: can you tell me if those are supposed to be easy, or if I can beat those, I can beat anything?

It might be because it was my first Souls game, but Father Gascoigne and Blood-Starved Beast took me a while. Probably the longest.

Especially Gascoigne, beating that fucker felt so good.

So, yeah, if you took those two down, you're probably good!

• @axel Imo BB is the easiest of the souls games. I never had that feeling of "this might be impossible for me" as I had occasionally in DSs or Sekiro. But being your first game that might turn it harder. Difficult to evaluate really.

First time I played DS I had that same feeling of not being very welcoming, but in retrospect I wouldn't have it any other way. Trying to figure stuff out by myself was very satisfying and rewarding.

My girlfriend doesn't play games but FromSoft games she recognises them immediately. Likes to watch and praises the sound/music. She also knows that those games are the only ones that don't have pause and that death means something. Particularly on bosses she is very careful, while also laughing at me being murdered.

• @axel

I think Bloodborne is at it's hardest when you've never played before, are low level, and facing those early-game bosses (especially Father Gascoigne). I would agree that if you can take those bosses on, you can take them all on. Bloodborne is definitely the easiest of the Souls games with it's minimal amount of resource items, generous farming locations for souls / resources if you need them, and especially smaller length levels.

Even as a seasoned Souls player, FG kicked my ass back in 2015. What's funny is that you'll end up destroying him on repeat playthroughs. Trust me.

• MSFS Doing the tutorials was pedagogical. Great to understand a bit deeper how airplanes fly. But just free flying, damn it's so chilling and impressive. I might have taken some edibles.

• Played half of the new Battletoads tonight, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's been predominantly beat em' up with a lot of different mini games serving as the genre variety. There have been bike and sled levels so far, but the focus is no doubt on pure beat em' up combat from a gameplay percentage standpoint. While they've added diversity between the toads and made the flow of combat solid, it feels a little samey and lacks some of the urgency that was present in the original. What I didn't expect was to actually be ok with the art during the gameplay, it isn't distracting and looks good in motion. Additionally its funny, I rarely laugh at games and while its not high level humor there's something about it that just works. Its truly like a cartoon, but not necessarily a Saturday morning one, more in line with some late night stuff. Its goofy but it takes its jokes further than you expect in addition to just having funny commentary. Hoping the second half keeps it up, so far so good.

• @miserableperson Made a break from MSFS to play Battletoads. Pretty solid game so far, I'm enjoying how diverse and silly it is.

• New update on Bloodborne:

I beat the Shadow(s) of Yarnham (very annoying) and Rom the Spider (surprisingly easy). Now some shit happened and the world seems to have changed.

Am I near the end?

• I'm in the mood to replay something, so I played The Last Guardian for a bit. It looks real nice, probably because of the TV upgrade and HDR. Getting to pet Trico again feels great.

• @axel Man, I love Byrgenwerth so much.

Anyways, I'd say it depends on if you tackle any of the optional areas, but you're a bit more than halfway there.

• I generally consider Rom the mid point, but bloodborne also has alot of optional areas that don't even feel optional so it's yeah.

Also been playing battle toads it's fun the vibe is nice though the combat is not anything special so far.

Oh has anyone tried Raji just bought it after I realised spritfarer was included with game pass since I was tossing up between both strong ps2 vibes from the trailer(Prince of persia and God of war etc. )

• @phbz Your screenshots are making me envious about MSFS, my laptop just can't cut it, need them to announce that Xbox release date.

• @miserableperson I have serious doubts it I'll come this gen. I can't imagine Xbox One running this game but I would love to see them try. It would be interesting. On the other hand fully optimised on the SXS must be mind-blowing.

• @phbz When it was announced at E3 2019, they said it would come to consoles though they didn't give an exact timeline other than they were focused on PC to start. I'd imagine we'd see it by the end of next year, especially given how well its been reviewed.

• @miserableperson Considering the minimum requirements for the game, it would most likely only release for Xbox One X, Series X and/or the rumored Series S right? I can't imagine a base Xbox One running that, unless they're pulling off some PS3/360 Crysis levels of optimization.

• @bam541 I believe initially they said the original Xbox One too, but I would guess that the Xbox One release gets removed and its pushed to the Series X only. The same thing happened with Everwild, announced as Xbox One but when we saw it in July, Series X was the only thing mentioned. I'd guess this was because they hadn't revealed the name of the next generation yet, so they just attached it to the current known consoles.

• The Samurai Jack game isn't half bad, only put a hour or so into it

• Borderlands 3. It's fantastic so far. I really like the new mobility stuff. I feel like I will be able to keep playing 2 and 3 and enjoy both.