[Official] What are you playing?

• SMT Digital Devil Saga. Great game. I am beginning to realize I don't fully love the SMT/Persona dungeon formula. It's taken me enough games to realize but they often seem to drag on too long. Still love this game though and there is a good chance I will move on to DDS 2 when I am done.

Driver San Francisco. I really like this game and I feel like I am going to like it more and more the better I get at shifting in the middle of missions. This game often comes up when talking about underrated PS3 games and games on those lists I usually find are 7s at best but this might end up as one of my favourite games on the platform.

• @sheria said in [Official] What are you playing?:

I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption.

I beat the game back when it came out but must admit that I rather main lined the story only.
    Now, while I think that that's just a valid way to play the game, I just fancy going into all of the side stuff this time.

The last stranger quest I did was hilarious. I spoke to a musician in the pub moaning about his wife and the solution to the quest had me literally hogtie her from across the road and drop her off back to him. 😂

First RDR1 was actually better game compare to RDR2 which is pure snoozefest. even shooting was better in original.

anyways recently played Village and it's a disappointing game. RE7 was my best RE game and then they made a sequel pure action game instead of horror and badly done.

• Been blitzing through F1 2021 and I have already earned 54% of the trophies earned. I really like this year's lineup of car liveries-the Alpine and Aston Martin ones are amazing. As for the gameplay I feel the handling is more taut than it has been in recent entries, managing to provide greater feedback but now you have to be mindful of overriding the curbs. I haven't dabbled in the new Braking Point story mode yet, but so far it's a pretty awesome game-though the absence of classic cars sucks and I don't know why we have to wait for the Imola, Portimao and Jeddah race tracks-when in the past new tracks were included at launch.

• @jdincinerator Is it published by EA this year?

• @phbz Yes.

• Tried out a couple of PSP games using an emulator on my phone. I'm really surprised by the fact that it runs so well, it's certainly unlike my attempts a few years ago. Anyway, the games I played were Indiana Jones: Staff of Kings and Tomb Raider Anniversary. SoK is unfortunately a dud, it's a just a really basic action game, absolutely nothing special. Tomb Raider is pretty great on the other hand. They adapted to the PSP's limited controls quite well, and I'm having fun with it. Also, it runs at 60 FPS on my phone, which is a great upgrade from the sub 30 framerate on the original hardware. Now I'm considering to buy a gamepad for my phone or something, I really want to continue playing this with proper controls.

• I'm giving Oblivion a chance for the 100th time and I really have a hard enjoying this game.

• @nakenorm I've completed the Braking Point story mode in F1 2021 and I have to say it's ok but needs fine-tuning. Without spoiling anything the story doesn't feel wholly entwined into the gameplay as it should. Your stake as the player feels completely arbitrary as well. EA published games have a tendency to bung cutscenes into proceedings to interfere with the gameplay and the same holds true here. There is a nice whiff of character development that I appreciated and there were certain aspects I felt enriched the story a little bit beyond what I was expecting-but generally it's still a lukewarm offering.

• 3 hours in TLOZ: Skyward Sword HD and I'm loving it. Playing this after messing around so much in BOTW is certainly whiplash-inducing, although I'm warming up to all of this quickly. The ceremony stuff early on was very fun and lovely, the vibe of the game overall is great. it's certainly a bit awkward to have the right stick also controlling things other than the camera, but I think it's worth the hassle since the combat is pretty fun. Flying the Loftwing feels so good controls-wise, and the music that plays when you fly around (and the soundtrack overall so far) is awesome! Excited to see where this goes.

• Playing BLOODROOTS on gamepass. Games pretty great so far. For fans of Hotline Miami & Katana Zero. Good challenge, great controls nice graphics & soundtrack what's not to like. I could see myself replaying this on for better rankings. Once you get into the rhythm of things & clear a mission I one run makes you feel like a badass.

• @paulmci27 Played for a while, it didn't grabbed me - maybe because I just played Katana - but I enjoyed the pace and the variety of ways to kill. Got it on my backlog folder to comeback to it at a later time.

• @phbz I played Katana last year and loved it so I'm ready for another game like that. Ive only played in short bursts of 30 minutes so tedium hasn't set in. It's only about 5 or 6 hours, that's a sweet spot for me.

• I was playing Cris Tales but already hard quit and uninstalled. I was hoping I was going to enjoy this as it was a 20hish jrpg, grind free from the reviews I've seen.

Honestly I was enjoying it, it has some interesting and nuanced mechanics involving time manipulation. But the damn game doesn't have autosave and froze on me twice in the 60 minutes or so I played it, making me repeat whole sections and it doesn't let you save everywhere. I wasn't sold on the art style either.

So I might get back to it if they make it more stable and improve saving but for now I'm going to skip it.

• Splitgate Beta-PS4/5
    This is something I didn't know I needed, like it's scratching a itch I didn't know i had.

That said I do hope it gets some resolution patch when on PS5, swear it's at something like 720p

• Just played a chunk of Last Stop and it's really entertaining story-driven adventure. It's quite comforting noticing all the slang and subtleties of Britishness because I too am British and Last Stop is unashamed and brilliantly British.

• Tried two demos on Steam from the Dreamhack event thingy. First one is Lord Winklebottom Investigates, a point-and-click adventure where you play as a posh giraffe detective, accompanied by a rugged hippopotamus doctor, set in the 1920s. Naturally, the game feels a bit silly, but it never overdoes it. Production values are on the lower side, particularly with the VO, but it kinda add to the charm of it. The art style looks nice. I'll probably check out the full game after there's a bunch of walkthroughs being made of the game, I always need one when playing games like this.

Second one is A Musical Story. This showed up in last month's Day of the Devs. It's a story-focused rhythm game where you progress by playing small sections of a song (like 8 seconds), steadily revealing story tidbits as you go. The gameplay is simple and elegant: you let the section play till the end to understand where the prompts are in relation to the music, then you play out the section when it loops around, and if successful, you continue to the next section. I have to say that I was very immersed in this. Both the visual art and music are wonderful. I can't wait to play the full game.

• @jdincinerator said in [Official] What are you playing?:

Been blitzing through F1 2021 and I have already earned 54% of the trophies earned. I really like this year's lineup of car liveries-the Alpine and Aston Martin ones are amazing. As for the gameplay I feel the handling is more taut than it has been in recent entries, managing to provide greater feedback but now you have to be mindful of overriding the curbs. I haven't dabbled in the new Braking Point story mode yet, but so far it's a pretty awesome game-though the absence of classic cars sucks and I don't know why we have to wait for the Imola, Portimao and Jeddah race tracks-when in the past new tracks were included at launch.

I just bought F1 2021 last night. I bought 2020 and barely played it, so this investment feels extremely dirty, but I felt like digging into MyTeam again and maybe playing online a bit. The PS5 graphics are ever so slightly better and the whole thing feels ever so slightly smoother on next-gen which is nice but it's not a big upgrade package (see what I did there?).

Other than 2020, I hadn't played F1 since the 2018 demo for 2 seconds, then EA Sports F1 1999 before then. I still can't really figure out the physics for the life of me. I'm not good at sim racers but the way the cars have weight and slide in GT Sport feels so much more natural to me than the stiff turning in F1.

For example:

• Breaks HARD in a straight line
    • Turn in off throttle (turning feels really stiff, hard to get the nose around)
    • Try to gently accelerate, spin car

I guess on gamepad, any sort of unstable car movement while accelerating is just a recipe for disaster but I struggle so hard to get the nose to turn in so most of my movements are far from perfect.

I have work to do...

Will Buxton animation is 10/10

• @dipset have you tried the story mode stuff? I'm kinda into the idea of something like that in a racing game, so I'm curious about this one.

• @bam541

I haven't touched the storymode yet but this is what @JDINCINERATOR said about it:

I've completed the Braking Point story mode in F1 2021 and I have to say it's ok but needs fine-tuning. Without spoiling anything the story doesn't feel wholly entwined into the gameplay as it should. Your stake as the player feels completely arbitrary as well. EA published games have a tendency to bung cutscenes into proceedings to interfere with the gameplay and the same holds true here. There is a nice whiff of character development that I appreciated and there were certain aspects I felt enriched the story a little bit beyond what I was expecting-but generally it's still a lukewarm offering.

For me, I think video games in general need to spend more time doing custom lighting and general plussing up for scenes that are meant to be cinematic. The problem with the sports TV broadcast stuff that every sports game is going for these days is that they all kinda come out a bit flat and janky looking because they just place the assets and models into these environments then use a camera algorithm to kinda jump around everywhere and things just feel odd.

So knowing there is a cinematic story mode is nice where you'll probably see different lighting, dramatic angles, better blocking and movement when compared to the base game. But I want to start to see that stuff in general. When they show the Paddock, don't just have models standing around in groups kinda sorta doing something. Give me nice lighting, good shot composition and all that.

If I had millions of dollars to blow on designing my own games, every single game would have the cinematography of TLOU Pt II haha

• @dipset honestly I'm cool with this being as janky as you described. I feel like it having absurd production values would somehow make it more intimidating to me, lol. I just want to play it somewhat casually. Never played a F1 game before (or watched it IRL), so this is a bit exciting. I'll probably wait for a sale though.