We did it, phew! I'm super happy with the way this list turned out, I think we can be proud of our collective taste!
Let's recap everything: 50 people voted, and 202 our of the 240 eligible games received at least a vote. That's about 4 unique games per voter, so a great spread which shows how diverse everybody's preferences are.
Overall representation per year
- 2010 was the most represented year among all the votes, with 24 games out of 25!
- 2017 was second, with 23 games.
- 2011 and 2012 follow with 22 games.
- With 21 games, we have 2018 and 2019.
- Then we have the two oddballs, 2013 and 2015, who only had 20 eligible games, 16 of which received votes.
- 2014 follows with 19 games.
- 2016 closes the list with only 18 games.
Top 50 representation per year
- 2017 is the clear top dog here with 9 games in our list, almost a fifth of the top 50!
- 2012 is the ugly duckling with only 1 game, Journey, only in #47!
Top 12 representation per year
As we saw, the top 12 was heads and shoulders above the rest with a 64 point gap.
- And again, 2017 leads the pack with 3 games, no contest, the best year of the decade.
- 2011, 2015 and 2018 follow with 2 games each.
- 2010, 2013 and 2016 place 1 game each.
- 2012, 2014 and 2019 couldn't make it.
Overall representation per publisher
- Nintendo is number 1, with 25 games receiving votes!
- Sony is a close second with 23 games.
- Square Enix follows after a big gap, with 15 games.
- Next, Bethesda and Sega got 10 games each (6 of Sega's being Yakuza/Judgment).
- EA and Ubisoft are tied with 9 games.
- 2K, 8 games.
- Capcom, 7 games.
- Bandai Namco, 6 games.
- Rockstar, Atlus and Microsoft, 5 games.
Top 50 representation per publisher
- Nintendo is still the best when looking at our top 50 with 9 games.
- Sony still trails closely with 8 games.
- Then it's a big drop, with Square Enix, Bethesda, Capcom and Rockstar with 3 games each.
- Bandai Namco and Annapurna got 2 games.
- Sega drops hard with only 1 game.
- Shockingly, Ubisoft, Microsoft and Blizzard got 0 game in our top 50!
Top 12 representation per publisher
- The tables turn in our elite 12, with Sony placing 5 games!
- Nintendo "only" gets 2 games, but that includes the actual Game of the Decade, so not bad!
- Bethesda, EA, Bandai Namco, Atlus and CD Projekt round up the top 12 with a game each.
Games with no votes
I wasn't sure whether to include this because the point isn't to name and shame, but in the name of being exhaustive, here goes:
- 2010: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
- 2011: Pokémon Black and White, Super Mario 3D Land and Resistance 3
- 2012: Wipeout 2048, Tokyo Jungle and Resident Evil: Revelations
- 2013: DmC: Devil May Cry, Metro: Last Light, SteamWorld Dig and The Wolf Among Us
- 2014: Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Child of Light, Divinity: Original Sin, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- 2015: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Tales of Zestiria, Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition or Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- 2016: I Am Setsuna, World of Final Fantasy, Let It Die, Street Fighter V, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and Pokémon Sun and Moon
- 2017: Injustice 2 and Mass Effect: Andromeda
- 2018: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee!, and Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
- 2019: Apex Legends, Days Gone, Astral Chain and The Outer Worlds (a former #3!!)
Additional info about games
- I'll start with the unlucky snubs, which deserve a special shout-out! 2 games scored 69 points, as many as our #50 Rocket League, and narrowly missed our top 50: Super Mario Maker and Titanfall 2.
Now... let's list everything else I guess!
- 67 points: The Walking Dead
- 66 points: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- 65 points: XCOM 2, Dishonored
- 64 points: Batman: Arkham Knight, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
- 62 points: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
- 61 points: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
- 55 points: Divinity: Original Sin II
- 53 points: XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- 52 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
- 51 points: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Celeste, BioShock Infinite
- 49 points: Yakuza 5, God of War III, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- 48 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
- 47 points: P.T., Nier
- 46 points: Disco Elysium
- 45 points: Max Payne 3, Dragon's Dogma, Prey
- 44 points: Gravity Rush 2, Hitman, Bayonetta 2
- 43 points: Mass Effect 3
- 42 points: Bastion, Ori and the Blind Forest
- 41 points: South Park: The Stick of Truth
- 40 points: Sleeping Dogs
- 39 points: Catherine, Alien: Isolation
- 38 points: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, Hotline Miami, Dead Space 2
- 37 points: Detroit: Become Human, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Katawa Shoujo
- 34 points: Civilization VI, Sonic Mania, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, The Last Guardian
- 33 points: Kingdom Hearts III, Splatoon, Devil May Cry 5, Borderlands 2, Stardew Valley
- 32 points: Gone Home, FTL: Faster Than Light, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- 31 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Overwatch
- 30 points: Fire Emblem Awakening, Until Dawn, Vanquish, Kid Icarus: Uprising
- 29 points: Papers, Please, Fallout 4
- 28 points: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- 27 points: Wolfenstein: The New Order
- 26 points: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, God of War: Ghost of Sparta
- 25 points: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assassin's Creed Origins, Deadly Premonition, Nioh, Super Mario 3D World, Dark Souls II, Forza Horizon 4
- 24 points: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, The Stanley Parable, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, Skate 3
- 23 points: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Diablo III
- 22 points: Yakuza 4
- 21 points: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Valkyria Chronicles 4
- 20 points: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Limbo, The King of Fighters XIII
- 19 points: Ratchet & Clank, Pyre, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Spyro Reignited Trilogy
- 18 points: Metro Exodus
- 17 points: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Gravity Rush, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops: The Line
- 16 points: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Octopath Traveler, Tetris Effect, Halo: Reach, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Gears 5, inFAMOUS 2
- 15 points: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- 14 points: Xenoblade Chronicles X
- 13 points: Tales of Graces f, Transistor, The Evil Within 2
- 12 points: The Wonderful 101, Firewatch, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Gears of War 3
- 11 points: L.A. Noire, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin, SOMA
- 10 points: Yakuza Kiwami 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
- 9 points: Judgment, Donkey Kong Country Returns
- 8 points: Tetris 99
- 7 points: The Evil Within, Infamous Second Son, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
- 5 points: Rayman Origins, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, Borderlands 3, Destiny, Dragon Age II, Hearthstone, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II, The Banner Saga, Far Cry 3, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Assassin's Creed III, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country, The Last Story, Into the Breach, Rogue Legacy, A Plague Tale: Innocence
I've played 28 games out of our top 50. The ones I'm still planning to play one day: Persona 5 (Royal), Mass Effect 2, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Horizon Zero Dawn, Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn, Xenoblade Chronicles. Ugh, there's some big boys in there.
I'll make sure to post these results in the next Community Showcase, but feel free to remind me just in case! The next thread of this kind will be the 2020 GOTY, early next year, I need a break now.
Thanks again to everyone who participated, it was epic!