First off, I'm not sure, if this fits better in Comments & Feedback, or Shows, but I'm going for Comments & Feedback for now because I'm mainly giving feedback.
I just watched "The 2017 Easy Allies Awards" (the results, not the discussion). Here is some feedback/criticism from my side:
What I liked:
- I very much prefer your style of listing nominees first and then naming one winner over the "Top 10" ranking other publications / YouTubers create. Hearing all the nominees first in "random" order and then revealing the single winner makes it more interesting and "awards-show-like" in my opinion, so I hope you will keep this format.
- I just love Brandon's voice describing the games and the reasoning behind the nomination/win. You are an incredible narrator!
- The editing was great. Opening with Kass' song to reveal Zelda as the winner was awesome.
- I like that you have multiple categories (Best Multiplayer, Best Strategy, etc.), this way people with a specific taste in gaming can focus more on their preferred genre/style of game.
However, I wish you can bring back individual videos for each category, like you did at GameTrailers. Here is why:
- Having it all crammed into one video will always lead to one of these outcomes: Either the video becomes very long and harder to watch if you don't have a lot of time, or the individual categories come too short. In this case, I felt the latter very strongly. I would love to give the individual categories more time.
- I was a bit disappointed to not have any narration/reasoning for the individual categories' nominees and winners. Just having the names in text over some footage of the winner didn't do it for me. I want to hear and see about every nominee and get an explanation why you love a specific game's soundtrack so much, or what makes it the best sidescroller of the year.
- Also some context about the category would be nice to hear: Did this category stand out this year? Is it a new category that you didn't consider last year? Was it a rather weak year for this category with only a few games standing out?
- Last but not least: If you split it into individual videos per category, you can release them over a period of time, so I can come back and see what category you covered this time until it culminates into the main video about the "Game of the Year" in general.
TL;DR: I love your style of GOTY awards, but I wish you would give the individual categories some more love and respect.
What do other Easy Allies fans think? Do you prefer one video like we got this year? Any other thoughts or feedback about GOTYs?